Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

From the WW bench

What the heck....youse guys post up.

Tried another game changer.   No wonder they’re expensive, lotta manhours.  Put the rehab stretch strap cut out for a tail and made my shanks outa lil jewelry rods.  Dubbed with craft fur yellow/green blend to get the chartreuse.   Was gonna do one with hackles, Sheesh!    At least 2 hackles to the segment maybe 3, tail, and the hook makes 6x2=12.  Lotta feathers for one fly. Got these MardisGras leggings outa craft fur.   

BAC83415-ADDE-4A70-BF62-2A305DB5E30E.jpeg

8E39CA04-CD1F-47E2-A13C-958953358D3A.jpeg

You did a great job!  You are correct. these flies are expensive and take a while to tie.  (I have Choklett's book. Mine are not ready for sharing, yet...)

How many shanks Rick?  I put 4 then the hook on mine.   Wanta do a feather one but need bunch of staggering sizes of feathers.   The craft fur dub is easy to trim and still look right.   Feathers not so...

16 hours ago, denduke said:

How many shanks Rick?  I put 4 then the hook on mine.   Wanta do a feather one but need bunch of staggering sizes of feathers.   The craft fur dub is easy to trim and still look right.   Feathers not so...

Try saddle hackle.  You should be able to taper it.   I did these two a long time ago.  The shank is made out of a hook and the second piece is a hook.  I used spey hackle on these two.

Jointed Pike Fly 1.jpg

Jointed Pike Fly 2.jpg

Prolly the thing to do is lengthen the shanks and only use 3.   The webby saddles from the strung packs if I can find 3 different lengths.   You using same size for all 3, Philly?   Nifty propeller up front!👍

1 hour ago, denduke said:

Prolly the thing to do is lengthen the shanks and only use 3.   The webby saddles from the strung packs if I can find 3 different lengths.   You using same size for all 3, Philly?   Nifty propeller up front!👍

You should be able to  find different sizes in the strung hackle.  Another approach would be to tie in the saddle hackle in the front by the butt end, and as you go toward the tail start tying it in by the tip.   Spey hackle in a pack comes in different sizes, between the hackles I've got wraps of estaz,  fewer in the front, less in the tail.  All those nifty propellers did was twist the leader.  I've removed all of the props on the flies I had them.   I'm going to work on a foam one over the winter.  I've got all different sizes that should allow me to taper the foam.  Not sure whether I'll add a hook in the tail or not.  Leaning toward not.

Filling the striper box. I had my best striper year ever with spinning gear. I want to have next year my best year ever for stripers on the fly rod. Now, I'm never putting down my ugly stick and SP minnows but on the days you can't keep them out of the boat I'm gonna start chucking more flies. 

chicken1.jpg

Estaz, never though about that.   Foam😳I be combining my lil styrofoam balls, craftfur/hackle for a jointed floater.  Thanks for the idea Philly 👍

It's a lure.  I don't have a picture of that particular but it's shaped like this Yozuri lure.    There are floating versions and sinking versions.

20111224_15 (2).JPG