Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

From the WW bench

Upstate, I like the poppers. Simple, clean and effective. 

Same goes for those foam bugs, Philly I like those. 

On 2/20/2021 at 8:04 AM, Fisherboy0301 said:

Upstate, I like the poppers. Simple, clean and effective. 

Same goes for those foam bugs, Philly I like those. 

thanks,  come on warmer weather!!

I started to straighten up my tying deck last night, and somehow ended up with these in my vice. 

A take off of  'Tony's Froggie'  posted by @Philly above.  I had no thick foam, so I cut 1/4 inch strips of green and yellow sticky back craft foam and stuck 'em together.  I thought if I added bucktail legs to the outside of the body, it would give me more 'leg action', and who doesn't like more of that.  Pins for eyes, as that's all had on hand.  Have to see how much the legs add to the resistance if I ever see open water again.  They certainly are quick to tie.

IMG-20210222-211245.jpg  

Nice.  Tony passed away last year.  He'd appreciate your "take" on his pattern.  He always urged me to experiment with his patterns.  Haven't tied them with legs, as they've  were always effective the way they were.   I've got a life time supply of spinner bait skirts and skirt layers.  I might tie up some up with legs and do a comparison.  Let the fish vote on which one they like.  I've tied them down to size 20 and have caught trout on them.  I've got those small foam cylinders that are used for wing posts.  I'll do up a dozen and add them to my trout box. Maybe size 18, not sure I can see a size 20 these days.

I've heard a lot about the "Bluebill Bug" or "Triangle Bug"  I got a sample from a member of one of my fly fishing clubs when we were tying at the last Fly Tying Symposium in NJ.  He's one of the many that believe you need to tie your panfish flies on size 10 or size 12 hooks.  I'm not.  Decided to tie up a dozen and give them a try.  These are tied on a size 6 Partridge Sea Predator.

P2261007.JPG.2711bd9d0041932028f6a89274d39ada.JPG

This one is basically a floating Woolly Bugger that's distantly related to the Booby Fly.  The head is a 20 mm piece of a 7/16 inch foam cylinder.  It's tied on a size 30 Mustad 3777BR, size 30(that's Mustad's designation not mine).  The body is two saddle hackles twisted with estaz.  The fly is roughly 3 inches long

P2260995.JPG.6bb71d0820b5b0c0b6289d0d01412ba4.JPG

This is my panfish version of Tony's Froggie.  Tied on  a  Partridge Sea Predator size 6.  You can't see it in the picture but the shank is wrapped with micro crystal chenille to add some flash to the fly.  Body is a 5 mm wide strip of 3 mm craft foam. 

P2261003.JPG.64e3aad395ca977424c5a2fe9b16ba2e.JPG

And a couple of panfish size soft hackles.  I think I tied them on a size 6 Partridge Klinkhammer hook.  The bodies are Kreinik Glow in the Dark thread, left over  from my days of trying to tie Harrison Steeves Lightning Bug. Thread is over wrapped with Larvae Lace like material I picked up in a craft store.  The silver bead head instead of being in front of the hackle is between the body and the hackle.  An idea I picked up from a member of the Delaware Valley Fly Fishers at Fly Tying Day they held.  It's visible on the right hand fly.

P2261012.JPG.f2216b5098288cde493d2a6fd41a7d56.JPG

Found a leftover hook with blade attached.  Added lil body.   Maybe castable and run just under the surface; pause after long strips....And convert a Gurgler into a rat or lizard.

Dede said needed some frogs for a sales customer....Gonna have to hit the WW bench after giving 3 hand fulls of bugs to some at the kid’s day lake reopening my box took a hit.   Old coworker, friend-LakeManager, and this lil cute girl biologist that weighed our fish.  Couldn’t resist....I fly fish👩🏼‍💼🙂😉

B7160458-B4AE-4894-8896-99F976716756.jpeg

80211654-E5E1-4A09-930C-8AC45B4EA933.jpeg

075A4289-904E-4609-AD90-2E3A7FF6A0E1.png

Big frog for the Girls 😛 No tying just cut and glue.  The cylinder is white foam rolled and glued...A drop of glue on the leg knot or it’ll unravel.

2CA7AA74-7A5D-4B06-BB82-D754D2FA50E0.jpeg

Foam is prolly the easiest but the lil resin coated styrofoam balls are more fun.  Roundies.  

FFA7CAC2-66D3-4DEB-9EEA-65D92EDEB8D5.jpeg

781A755C-23FA-4DB6-A078-E0DB5C3D8B95.jpeg

Few more Roundies from glitter styrofoam Xmas balls...Solarez style.  These are larger than the others. Then the big  egg ones will pop some...Got lil bream/bass box going, $1 at DollarTree.

CAA091C4-5884-4E9E-B982-FEE63D433C48.jpeg

34D53012-7B89-431A-B8D0-1D5C4E3E2FA4.jpeg