Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

From the WW bench

Couple LilTunies and a needle fish, my versions.   Looks like got carried away on the needle....kinda fat.   Might need to trim the tails smaller too...

0CF04F16-D2C1-4608-BC2D-49B447A6718F.jpeg

And this is what happens when you got too much time on your hands...😛

439E26F1-8620-4D7C-99DB-8411D997C43B.jpeg

Yeh Poopdeck, you pike/musky guys could make a juvenile like this, fatter body, and might wear’em out. 😛.  They’re prolly cannibals like most other predator fish.  Not sure about the mangle factor though?

Playing with foam.... Couple of UnsinkableCaddis, Ducolators, and my version of cphubert’s shrimp.   Like a dumbass tied the first shrimp backwards.  I got one swimming ahead and one popping backwards, oh well...

Might rig’em double and catch’em goin and comin...

86C9BEE4-B628-4225-9B0D-19F96A88E1BC.jpeg

BE27E0E2-4649-43A3-AC82-253ADDF3A591.jpeg

Lead head jigs

so my buddy got a few deer this season and gave me one of the hides and a few tails.  He only spin fishes, so asked for some crappie/bass jigs under 1/8 oz.  Here's what I've come up with so far.  These are 1/16 - 1/8 oz, jigs.  

I've never really tied anything this heavy, so I'm not really sure what I'm doing, I just kinda modified lighter patterns that I would use on my fly rod.  Any advice/critique is appreciated

IMG-20210108-080309.jpg

6 hours ago, niveker said:

Lead head jigs

so my buddy got a few deer this season and gave me one of the hides and a few tails.  He only spin fishes, so asked for some crappie/bass jigs under 1/8 oz.  Here's what I've come up with so far.  These are 1/16 - 1/8 oz, jigs.  

I've never really tied anything this heavy, so I'm not really sure what I'm doing, I just kinda modified lighter patterns that I would use on my fly rod.  Any advice/critique is appreciated

IMG-20210108-080309.jpg

Looks like stuff that I used on my ultralight - nice ties and I'm sure the fish will think so as well!

Kim

17 minutes ago, denduke said:

Really like pheasant breast for Cdad claws.

No doubt, denduke.  I used to make really complicated C-dad flies, and then I received that version in a swap on here last year.  It didn't have the lead head on it, of course, just a weighted shank.  Takes about 3 minutes to tie.  Not sure if the panfish took it for a C-dad, but they sure loved it,  I flung that fly until it was not much more that a bare hook with some scraggly feathers  and chenille hanging off it, then I started tying my own.  Some of the c-dads we have up here are a funky dark orange/reddish color and that feather is a good imitation of it.

Yours look great, I like the clipped tip of the feather, 👍

What are you using to wrap the abdomen, and for the tail, carapace, and feelers?  BTW, I see you know a lighter is a great tying tool that's not often mentioned.

Lighter was for the mono eyes.   The long  deer hair Is the antenna to the tail.  The wraps are drib.  Need to UV or coat the exposed deer hair cuz trout teeth fray them.  If you invert the hook it’ll run upside down so why.   I drift/swing won’t strip back like lead eye Cdads but they still eat it up.  Drop it in a stream and minnows and everything attack it.  Lotta my trout picks have got one in their mouths!   Got it from magazine years ago.   Lately using felt or flex coil for dads...Oops, I mostly usem for trout

27018D8A-962F-489B-A151-6F1519AEA7C4.png

8BF73F4B-E29E-442E-BADB-56AFF8FB3C0D.png

983B5718-95FE-42BB-B282-AE0553163B99.png

477A6DCE-8712-4C1C-915B-0DA7CEC44E66.png

Real simple bream bugs from Hyatt on Bluegill page.   Whipped out a few.   Thread wrap hook, tie/squeeze on foam disc, add legs, and glue.   I gotta put spots on mine though.

07F56B25-E501-4138-99FC-B8C55A16809D.jpeg

9F9D29CD-A715-49C4-8AAC-3DD7E20DB53B.jpeg

AFC07A10-C8D0-4D81-A98F-C6848C693BAD.jpeg

On 1/8/2021 at 8:38 AM, niveker said:

Lead head jigs

IMG-20210108-080309.jpg

Tie a few in white and over-wrap the body with Mylar Christmas tree tinsel. Tied a white WB like that and caught a nice brown trout. BTW, nice jigs!