Fly Tying
Moshup

Name a famous fly that has not been so famous with you !

I have two actually.  One is the Mickey Finn and the other is the Black Nose Dace.   Not that they aren’t great flies but for me I’ve just 

have had no luck with them and after awhile I’ve just kinda lost confidence in using them.  What is one man’s fancy is another man’s poison

But in fairness most of the responsibility lies with the angler and also a bit with location. What’s your famous nemesis?

9 minutes ago, Mogup said:

What’s your nemesis?

Whatever I have tied on at the moment!😎 

1 minute ago, Sandan said:

Whatever I have tied on at the moment!😎 

🙂lol

If only I tied "named" patterns!

Actually, except for one bass (from Whiskey Slough in California), I've never caught anything on a Clouser.  So, I guess the Clouser would be my nemesis.  However, since most of my fishing is in shallow water, over weedy or muddy bottom, anything weighted would come in right behind the Clouser in the strafing run.

We have some pretty wild fish up here so they really aren't used to being burned on many flies. Even things that you wouldn't think would work up here work. For instance, Egg sucking leaches work really well but the only leaches we have up here are the egg sucking variety. We don't have any Blacknose Dace up here either but the fly works.

For us, it's more about water conditions that determine if a fly will work or not (or something else going on). Last weekend the grayling in a particular stream near us were so full of salmon eggs, they weren't eating anything, not even salmon eggs.

Prince nymph. I've caught some fish on them, but more on variations. I very much dislike biots, so often substitute rubber or silicone for the biots and they work much better for me. 

IMO, biots look OK, but are too stiff & lifeless, and offer nothing to a fly pattern. 

Tellico nymph. I have fished on the Tellico River and various other places. Never caught anything on it.

Off topic but I never caught anything on the so-called famous Helin flatfish but weeds.

deer hair bass bugs, i used buggle bugs, gurglers and sneaky petes but never caught a bass on deer hair bugs  thats poppers or dahlberg  divers

Royal Wulffs; they work, at times, but no better than a lot of other dries I’ve fished and a pain in the ass to tie properly.

Regards,
Scott

I would probably have to go with Woolly Buggers, followed by Clousers.   I've caught a few fish on them, but they're way at the back of the line of flies that I would tie on.