Fly Tying
TIER

2020/21 trapping and hunting

This thread is kind of like the monthly flies from the vise thread. There are some of you the hunt and trap, and this is the place the post pics of the animals you've trapped/ shot this season. Also if you need advice this is also a good place to ask questions.

I don't have any pics, but i have a question. 

So i am cutting off the tops of bottles and making slices where the snare goes for marten. so it basically looks like this.

930699707_kfsdacsidne.png.08acce3f760a4c115a232bc62283a9c0.png

how do you get the human scent off of the plastic bottle?

On 11/1/2020 at 11:52 AM, TIER said:

This thread is kind of like the monthly flies from the vise thread. There are some of you the hunt and trap, and this is the place the post pics of the animals you've trapped/ shot this season. Also if you need advice this is also a good place to ask questions.

I don't have any pics, but i have a question. 

So i am cutting off the tops of bottles and making slices where the snare goes for marten. so it basically looks like this.

how do you get the human scent off of the plastic bottle?

Martin are not weary of human scent. You don't need to worry about it at all. Not for lynx either. Only the dogs, fox, coyote and wolf.

57 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

Martin are not weary of human scent. You don't need to worry about it at all. Not for lynx either. Only the dogs, fox, coyote and wolf.

thank you so much for the advice

I used to spend a good few weeks prepping. cleaning, boiling, blackening and waxing traps. I imagine your furs are prime long before ours and a better grade overall. Haven't run a line in a long, long time. Bottle? no one builds boxes anymore?

you use boxes for snares?

Btw i am not allowed to use traps for some reason

39 minutes ago, cphubert said:

I used to spend a good few weeks prepping. cleaning, boiling, blackening and waxing traps. I imagine your furs are prime long before ours and a better grade overall. Haven't run a line in a long, long time. Bottle? no one builds boxes anymore?

Boxes are heavy, and do not nest. It takes a lot of time to pack them around with no roads. When I use cubbies, I use plastic planters. They are cheap, they nest, they are light weight and durable.

56 minutes ago, TIER said:

thank you so much for the advice

You are welcomed. Maybe you are restricted from using traps for fear of catching someones pets with a trap in your more urban setting. It's much less likely with a snare.

did i tell you the story of the dog that was caught in my rabbit snare?

8 minutes ago, TIER said:

did i tell you the story of the dog that was caught in my rabbit snare?

Nope, was he OK. The very last thing you want to do is catch peoples pets.

yeah good thing the dog was caught by the foot and not the muzzle.

1 hour ago, TIER said:

yeah good thing the dog was caught by the foot and not the muzzle.

Yes, good thing. You can put a stick over the snare to make sure dogs don't get in the snare, it's called a stepping stick. It forces dogs to step over the snare and lift their head so feet and muzzles don't go in. These sticks don't deter rabbits from going in, they go right through, under the stick.