Fly Tying
TIER

2020/21 trapping and hunting

Tier, according to the TV show “MountainMen” they’re getting $200 for marten fur correct?   Is that raw, dried, tanned?  When you start catching do you know how to render them; ie case them, strip the tail?   We had fur buyers come once a week to farm store and we sold stuff raw.  Don’t come anymore; fur market pitiful.   But that’s way down here in M’isipi.  Do you have gray fox up there?

6A00941D-4EA8-4B23-BAB8-24C9F4C01445.jpeg

118110E6-A208-48CD-B4E6-C90D2D84CA1F.jpeg

They sometimes get to the 200s but normally they would be around 100-175 dollars, tipiclly at 125. We sadly don't have grey foxes here.

I hope I haven’t screwed up.  Passed on the 9 point other evening, kinda dark.  Right at dark, 30’ from my “BoxStand”.   Can’t believe didn’t get busted.   Bunches of does stomping around trying to catch me.   Neighbor across the road killed a 7 point with big spread.  Prolly the one on camera.  

81DB06CE-3910-43CE-9CBE-FB01EFBDA639.jpeg

D254CA4A-2B2E-43DC-B3CC-1D11D72C69EA.png

On 11/12/2020 at 2:24 PM, denduke said:

according to the TV show “MountainMen” they’re getting $200 for marten fur correct?   Is that raw, dried, tanned?

That is made into a garment and sold retail!! TV dollars!

The August fur auction in Canada saw Marten at $20  and lower 48 marten as low as $7.50. The only demand for fur right now is for heavy western coyotes at $70  and only cats brought over a hundred and very few of them sold. We still have wild fur in the pipeline from 2018 and the big Canadian fur auction NAFA is bankrupt and owing $millions  to trappers that shipped in 2018-19 and some even older. Trappers today are doing it for the exercise.

First doe day of the year was this past Saturday, and my son killed a doe and a nice 3 pointer on the first drive of the day.  Not to be outdone, I killed a nice 7 point buck in the same section of land on the last drive of the day.  Was a good day other than the temperature hit 70 and we had to dress everything immediately and get it on ice. All deer dropped with one shot each.  With buckshot being almost impossible to find, have to get it right the first time.

2020-11-21_10-57-22_081.jpg

2020-11-21_16-22-03_903.jpg

Man drive or youse guys can still run dawgs in VA?   There’s still dawg hunting  even in some public areas here in M’isipi.  Totally different from the old days.  The guys got collars/gps and don’t need standers just watch the dog on screen and drive to the crossing; ie just follow the lead dog.   Auto insurance lobby (deer collisions) driving the rules.  OKd shooting from roadside as long as not across.   Sounds like y’all gotta use shotguns still;  it’s all rifle down here anymore.   Strip/salt them tails for streamers.

The ammo shortage is serious and not good news for the future.  Hunting ammo not near as serious as pistol stuff.  Buckshot is scarse. Reloading stuff scarse too, primers, powder???  Hoarding and factory Covid shutdowns the reason. Most are a year behind...What's available is on the net 2-3 times the price and gotta buy 1200 rounds. If they still got it...9 mm, 45ACP, good luck...

We do man drives, but a lot of people around us use dogs.  Hunting with dogs is still pretty big in VA, although like you said, it's changed quite a bit.  Everybody's got high dollar tracking collars, and dogs have gotten a lot more expensive.  They have tighten'd up the trespassing laws for people who "were just looking for my dog" on other people's property, which is nice.  Nothing more frustrating than to drive a thick cutover when you find someone has turned their dogs loose on It already and driven everything out.  It varies from county to county, but while we can use rifles where we hunt, it's a lot safer for everyone to use shotguns when doing man drives.  Less opportunity to hit something past where you can see.

The ammo shortage has gotten ridiculous, and here we can get all the bullets, and powder you need, just can't get any primers.  Never seen so many people buying guns and ammo before.  With all the riots and stuff here in Richmond, I don't blame them.

Not a bad morning on the river.  Had a reminded of what it takes to run down a goose that has a broken wing.  Way out of shape and had too many layers on, but we got it done.

thumbnail-21.thumb.jpeg.4735f37522aff4fa0433ce1d9ea370f5.jpeg

Michael