Fly Tying
TIER

2020/21 trapping and hunting

Nice, feathers for Grandmaw!  Didn’t know they had pheasants in VA...   Wish we had them down here.  

They were really nice, healthy birds, and they are great on the rotisserie.

They are raised locally and turned loose to hunt.  The bird populations for hunting here aren’t  great anymore.  While we have tons of ducks and geese, the quail and dove populations are getting smaller and smaller.  Too much urban sprawl.

7 hours ago, Peartree said:

the quail and dove populations are getting smaller and smaller.  Too much urban sprawl.

Yes, I have not heard a bob white in a long while, afraid they are all but gone from this area. Only upland is stocked ringneck pheasants they rarely make it thru the winter if they escape the limited hunting areas. A few grouse but very few. More geese and mallards than anything else, harder to find hunting areas. Easier to find housing developments, not surprised farming is a lot of work for less money.

20 hours ago, Peartree said:

Too much urban sprawl.

Although this might be why you don't see small animals/birds in your area, it's likely not the reason for population declines.

11 hours ago, cphubert said:

I have not heard a bob white in a long while

As much as I love my cats, I'm the first to admit that they're the reason many small animals are on the decline. 

From nature.com: "We estimate that free-ranging domestic cats kill 1.3–4.0 billion birds and 6.3–22.3 billion mammals annually, and that un-owned cats cause the majority of this mortality."

Ground dwelling birds like Bobwhite are easy prey.

2 minutes ago, mikechell said:

un-owned cats cause the majority

That makes sense I live next to a few farms and "people" are known to drop off strays in the area thinking the farm could use a new mouser.  All it has done is increase the coyote population and kept them well fed, it is a awful sound at night when they get a hold of a cat.

On 11/27/2020 at 4:26 PM, Peartree said:

Good day with my son building up some fly tying material and meat for the freezer.

6CD53C35-4111-4574-A4C4-AEC43B22DBD0.jpeg

Raised in central Ohio. Miss pheasant hunting. Trivia- have a photo of a pheasant nesting in my parent's rose garden in PA. Used to see them along the road on the way to work.

Here's some more from that land. Helps when you've got 960 acres to manage a herd. Landowner likes to fish so I pay him in bass and bluegill flies!

IMG_2543.jpg

11290926.JPG.jpg

21 hours ago, dogfacedoc said:

Here's some more from that land. Helps when you've got 960 acres to manage a herd. Landowner likes to fish so I pay him in bass and bluegill flies!

That's a nice one. Congrats.