Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

Deer hunt and salt water fly fishing

I just returned home from a salt water fly fishing trip and deer hunt. The trip was cut short by forecasts of 19 foot seas. Since we don't want any part of that in a 32 foot boat we came home early.

On the way to camp the first day we stopped to catch some fish for camp.

20201023_113007-X2.jpg

The fishing was good and we caught these in about a half hour. We didn't have our fly fishing gear set up yet, so these were all caught on conventional gear.

The next day the weather was good so I spent some time fly fishing while my buddy stuck to the conventional gear.

yelloweye-L.jpg

A nice big yellow eye rock fish caught on a Non-Pelagic Squid.

vermilian%202-L.jpg

And, a new species to add to my all-time fly-caught species list, a Vermilion Rock Fish. Making 29 Alaskan species on a fly all together.

quill%20back-L.jpg

Not a new species for me but a Quill Back Rock Fish.

ling%20cod%203-XL.jpg

One of about 45 ling cod we caught the next day between conventional and fly fishing.

DSCF5873-X2.jpg

My buddy Rick getting ready to use the deep sea release to return a Yellow Eye Rock Fish he caught on conventional gear.

copper%20rock%20fish-L.jpg

A Copper Rock Fish.

20201024_115250-X2.jpg

A 97 pound halibut on conventional gear.

20201023_162021-X2.jpg

Then we took a few days off from fishing to do some deer hunting. Here's my first buck, a real dandy as far as Sitka Black Tails go. A little surf and turf for dinner tonight.

20201023_163819-X2.jpg

This is him again in the skiff for the boat ride to the cabin.

DSCF5869-X2.jpg

This is my second buck. We are allowed six each so my gracious host let me take them both while he did the calling.

All in all, even though the weather was rainy and a little cold and windy it was a great trip. We brought home about 220 lb's of deer meat and fish fillets. We put the boat away for the year, can't wait till next year.

Holy crap 19' seas! 6' in a 32' foot boot is as high as I want to go. What's your upper level up there? 

Nice hunting, that's a lot of bologna. 

16 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

Holy crap 19' seas! 6' in a 32' foot boot is as high as I want to go. What's your upper level up there? 

Nice hunting, that's a lot of bologna. 

We don't like to fish in anything over 6 but you kind of have to pay attention to the wind and tide too. We can easily fish in a 10 foot swell but certainly not a 10 foot chop. If we had a 10 foot swell with a two foot chop (12 foot combined) we'd fish it. We stay the heck away from anything calling for 15 foot seas.

Thanks Poop. You had mentioned a spring pole lathe before. I make a lot of tools for a guy with a spring pole lathe (forged lathe tools, but not really chisels)

Looks like a great trip Mark. I got this one Sunday evening, last day of the season, 15 minutes before legal hunting ended. Elk hair caddis anyone? 

1604415578911.jpg

9 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

You had mentioned a spring pole lathe before. I make a lot of tools for a guy with a spring pole lathe (forged lathe tools, but not really chisels)

Forged green wood working tools is the way to go. I was going to try my hand at forging my own tools as well but I haven't been able to use my pole lathe for over a year know since tearing my meniscus in my right knee. My left leg hasnt worked right for 30 years so I really need my right leg to operate the lathe. That and I've never forged anything before but more because of the knee.  It's on the list though somewhere between fixing the knee, building a forge and death. One day. 

6 hours ago, Sandan said:

Sunday evening, last day of the season, 15 minutes before legal hunting ended

and on daylight savings, to boot...

9 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

and on daylight savings, to boot...

@chugbug27 ended up dressing her out with a flashlight between my teeth.