Fly Tying

Hey guys,

Thought I'd share another quick SBS I put together on one of my "work from home" days last week (amazing what you have time for when you cut out the commute).  This one is a simple shrimp pattern that has done well for me this summer with both Specks and Reds here in southern Louisiana.  Nothing fancy by any means, but it's a nice smaller profile pattern that works well when the fish are keying on shrimp.  Let me know what you think.

Shrimp Fly Step-by-Step

Chris

spacer.png

I can see it in a different color stuck in the mouth of a carp. Thanks for the tutorial.

Used to live in LA. No crawfish boils in Tennessee!

58 minutes ago, skeet3t said:

I can see it in a different color stuck in the mouth of a carp. Thanks for the tutorial.

Used to live in LA. No crawfish boils in Tennessee!

Just caught my first common carp two on a fly rod yesterday.  Wasn't using this pattern, but I like the idea.  I might have to work on that.

Sounds like you need to make a pilgrimage back down for some crawfish at this point.

Chris

2 hours ago, Maction17 said:

Having just started tying and focused on tropic salt species, this is great for me. Thank you!

Happy to hear it.  Check out the "Topwater Chimera" I posted on the blog this morning as well.  It doesn't look like much, but it's fairly simple to tie and has done well for me this year.

Chris

Hey guys,

Just wanted to add a quick follow up to this post as I had an interesting catch on this fly yesterday morning. 

I've been using this fly predominantly as the second fly in tandem rigs (generally trailing a larger pattern) and have done quite well with reds while doing so.  Yesterday morning, however, my first hit was a surprisingly light tap.  And I initially assumed I had hooked a small White Trout as I saw a flash of silver below.  To my surprise, the fish on the end of my line was a Striped Mullet (a first for me). 

spacer.png