Fly Tying
DFoster

The fly patch problem

1 hour ago, niveker said:

That looks like a nice set-up DF, something I'v been thinking about trying out, but in my bones I'm an analog fisherman, still old school style with a vest.  I quit using a fly patch when I watched mine float down the river, having somehow gotten detached from my vest.  

I too am old school - They had to pry my 25 year old cotton Orvis vest out of my hands but I have to say for me the transition was easy because the Umpqua pack just works.    I find it easier to put on and remove than the vest when it's full of gear.  This is important as the morning coffee and cold water conspire to interrupt my fishing several times per morning.  Indulging in an afternoon adult beverage is certain to yeild the same results.  The 2 choices of back pack are a great feature.  It takes literally 15 seconds to attach the one you need for the day.  All the tackle you use on every outing remains in the chest pack so you can't forget anything critical.  Mostly I use the small back section to carry a bottle of water, small first aid kit and small 3 cigar travel case for half day outings. The larger back section is big enough to add in a rain coat, lunch, additional fly boxes or anything else you need for all day outings.  The quality is top rate, on par with Fish Pond products.   I use a small Fish Pond San Juan micro pack when I fish close to home or for non salmonid species.  The resident Fall Fish and Blue Gills are no where near as picky as our trout so one fly box is enough.

Here's a vid-

I keep a spare plano box with school board chalk glued in it for my used flies. the chalk is hygroscopic, and will keep the hooks from rusting as i'm prone to forget them in the back seat of the truck.

On 11/20/2020 at 6:10 PM, dogfacedoc said:

I keep a spare plano box with school board chalk glued in it for my used flies. the chalk is hygroscopic, and will keep the hooks from rusting as i'm prone to forget them in the back seat of the truck.

How much Chalk?  Please post a photo if you get a chance. 

Just a regular classroom board chalk (calcium carbonate). I'll hot glue one to the lid of a non-waterproof plano box. 

A more expensive option would be climbing chalk, which is magnesium carbonate, but typically designed to be able to break up into a powder so I haven't found any options that are fly-fishing friendly. 

Maybe @SilverCreek would have some input about the difference, whether magnesium carbonate would even be worth looking into.

I recently got this Tacky Fly Dock, and I'm loving it!  While you may not be able to fit dozens of flies like you would on a foam patch (it has 8 slots), it seems to fit the perfect number for a day on the water.  In the picture, there are flies from size 24 up to a size 8, but I've tried it with 1/0 saltwater hooks with no problem.  You can turn it over and shake it as hard as you possibly can, but they won't budge.  I suppose if you were walking through some REALLY heavy brush, you may lose a fly on a very rare occasion, but I don't see it happening very frequently.  It comes with an adhesive back, but there is also a velcro strip that you could use to attach it to a sling pack, chest pack, etc.  Seeing as the three rivers you named aren't particularly tight and wooded, I think this would be perfect.

File_000 (8).jpeg

On 11/9/2020 at 3:20 PM, redietz said:

I've done exactly the same thing with a old Sucrets box when they were making them out of plastic for a few years.  I put eight holes in it. It stays in the vented inner pocket of my vest.  Wet flies go in and they're invariably dry an hour later.

Plastic snuff boxes are good but your flies might smell like wintergreen for a while. I have a foam patch on my lanyard. Don't use barbless hooks but mash the barbs. Never lost a fly.