Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mars Rover

Anyone use silk thread? Need advice.

I'm sure there's a trick or technique for for this but I couldn't find it. The medium green head on a display fly that I just tied turned black with the application of head cement so now it's a do-over. The lightest color of green that I have in synthetic thread is olive so I resorted to silk. After that happened, I experimented with four types of head cement - on just heads tied onto a hook. After drying, they all look black to the eye, except for one and it's way too dark. I've color-lacquered heads before but i'd rather not do that. Also, I don't think a dot of white-out on the hook would work in this case since the wing is black. So before I run out and buy some medium/light green nylon or other synthetic, is there a trick for the color retention of silk?

I tried UV resin, water base head cement, head cement (the stuff that smells like nail polish) and flex cement. The the flex did the best but I don't think you can get a glossy head with that.

Thanks!

You have at least two options:

1) Don't use head cement

2) Get some color preserver from a rod making supplier and coat the head (and allow to dry) before applying head cement.

You might also try using primrose silk and letting the head cement darken it to a light green.

Here's one other possibility to try and preserve the color of the thread... Before applying any finish simply lay on a very thin coat of super glue (I like the inexpensive Krazy Glue - original thin recipe).  It's what I seal and lock down thread heads on saltwater flies (and also how we seal thread that will later receive a painted eye so that no paint can be absorbed by the tying thread... ).  An additional benefit of using super glue is that you're creating a thread head that is super durable and will require a new single edged razor and some work to remove if needed for re-cycling or re-tying... Here's a  pic or two... 

8yLxKj0.jpg

I use the tube itself as a "paintbrush" with a thin coat on almost all of the thread... be careful with thin super glue since it will wick into nearby materials if you're not careful with it... You must allow it to dry thoroughly before applying any paint or other type of finish for best results

c6hFQ81.jpg

eye painting tools, each size will leave a slightly larger dot of paint than the nail head you're using...

SgitLp0.jpg

The finished fly, a Sand Devil... Note, not the slightest darkening or color change on the fl. orange flat waxed nylon thread (Danville's)... 

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I guess I'm just accustomed to thread turning a shade or two darker, not turning black like this silk. I never tried silk before because I though my stash would be old, weak, stiff and brittle with no stretch but actually it was awesome to tie with. It only took a couple of minutes to get used to it (wax helps) - and there are some very pretty colors, but I'm not going to use it if it just turns black or the color of the hook. I thought there might be some (easy) old timer's trick. I'll  just wait until I have some green nylon or something then re-tie. The fly I wanted to display is a Green Ass McGee because I have a connection to Pine Creek, PA - and it's head is supposed to be green as well a it's ass. Funny, in the image it looks like some emerald is peaking through - but I just took it out into bright sunlight and nah, it's black.

Silk Thread.jpg

Could it be that the wax that you're applying is causing the excess darkening.  I don't usually wax thread, and don't see extreme darkening.

Thanks, Bob H

@Mars Rover .  I think waxing your thread a bit and them wiping the excess off and whipfinishing and leaving the head cement off is what a lot of guys do.  If you ever get tired of the silk let me and I’ll take it off you’re hands.🤓 Looking for blue which I don’t have and I’m good with trades.

19 hours ago, Mogup said:

waxing your thread

+1 

19 hours ago, Mogup said:

Looking for blue

I've got a spool and (gulp) can spare a few yards from it, would you need it on a spool or could I just put some in a small baggie & mail? 

Yes Chugbug I could use a little. I’d wrapped it around something so it doesn’t get tangled up.  I’ll send you something for Turkey day as I was planning to send u something before the holidays.