Fly Tying
DarrellP

Healing waters, wounded warriors, etc.

If any of you are helping gather flies next year for a fishing healing group, now would be a good time to let us know.  It will soon be a bit cold for fishing for some areas, and it would be a good time to tie some up.

No.  I was wondering if anyone was doing this.  I will participate if anyone is connected to one of these groups and needs flies.

I just sent an email to my contact with Reel Recovery.  It's a cancer support group.  I asked if it would be alright to share his name.  I tied 200 flies for them in 2020.   I'll keep you posted.

You can reach out to Tim Scott.  He's a participant sponsor of the Tie-a-thon which you can find on Facebook.  I can send an email address via PM if you would like to participate.  The Tie-a-Thon has delivered literally thousands of flies to the programs like Reel Recovery and Project Healing Waters.

http://sjrvff.com/tie-a-thon/

Anyone who would like to send flies to me I will provide a fly box and send them out to Reel Recovery and at least one military group like I did earlier this fall. I'll group them, sort them, and send them out. If you do this please, please mark your contribution for Reel Recovery. Extras will be distributed to other groups that can use our flies. Right now I'm the thick of the Secret Santa swap for next few weeks so won't do much with flies until after that clears out.

Nick Szabo

PO Box 361

Cheyenne, OK 73628

Kudos, Nick, for doing this. Do you know if they prefer/need one type/style of fly more than another?  

The last time I sent in a mix of small trout, panfish, streamers, and a few small poppers. I believe most of their fishing is on trout water or freshwater. If I sent saltwater it was separate from the box I sent. A mixture of trout/panfish flies would be great.

You can also donate to the Casting for Recovery Regional Military Women’s retreat in Western PA.  Not sure about a 2021 retreat yet.  PM me for more information.