Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
James

Spey Flies

I was checking if anyone here has any Spey fly tying experience. I have seen photos of these flies and I am interested in tying some up and would like some pointers on materials and techniques I think fishing them on a sink tip for brown trout might be a a gas. Thanks

James, you might want to check out the  Classic and Salmon Fly Forum on the site.   The only time I've used spey hackle is to tie what amount to woolly buggers on steroids.  

Get Veverka's book on Spey flies.  It is very helpful.  Also, check out McPhail's videos.  I am trying to start with some, as well.  They aren't simple, just sparse.

2 hours ago, DarrellP said:

Get Veverka's book on Spey flies.  It is very helpful.  Also, check out McPhail's videos.  I am trying to start with some, as well.  They aren't simple, just sparse.

Good book recommendation.

16 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

Would someone like to tell me what distinguishes a spey fly from another fly, please?

@Mark Knapp Here you go from Fly Tier magazine. Classic Spey Flies for Steelhead

Spey flies were tied on lightweight hooks that usually had slightly longer shanks than the ordinary salmon hooks of the day. The bodies were slender and made from wool, either dubbed or wound directly on the hook. These flies were tied in subtle shades of olive, black, and brown, and they had no tails. There were exceptions, however, such as the Lady Caroline, Green Queen, and the Grant flies, which are all contained in George Kelson’s famous book titled The Salmon Fly, published in 1895.

Spey flies had multiple ribs, usually made from a combination of flat and oval tinsels, one of which was sometimes counterwrapped over the characteristic body hackles. Hackles, made using heron or “Spey hackle,” were long and flowing. Spey hackles were saddle hackles from a line of chickens called Spey cocks, male birds specially bred to yield feathers containing extra-long fibers; curiously, it is thought that the Spey cock is now extinct. The butt ends of the hackles were usually tied in at the ends of the bodies and wrapped forward.

Spey flies had short bodies that extended only to opposite the hook point. The wings were usually fashioned from bronze mallard or teal flank feathers, and varied greatly in length. Some wings extended half the length of the body, and others went well past the end of the body, but they rarely reached beyond the end of the hook. Originally, wings were not tied quite so low as they are today, but canted up slightly and were closer to being simple strip wings. Spey flies also had small finished heads.

There were exceptions to all these features because there have never been actual rules for tying salmon flies, just well-defined conventions.

2 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

Thank you very much.

You, my friend, are very welcome. I'd think the artistry in those spey flies would attract you like a cat to a bowl of cream.

I am very interested. I'm holding off a little bit though because I've got so much going on right now. I'm afraid once I start it will be a huge distraction in my life (like an obsession).

47 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

...(like an obsession).

I have no idea what you mean.😎

1 hour ago, chugbug27 said:

Thx, reminds me to get back to cyanide & seltzer

Don't drink that spritzer!