Fly Tying
robow7

Favorite flies for Yellow perch

Hey guys, what are some of your favorite flies that you might use to catch yellow perch in the lakes of northern Wisconsin and Minnesota ?  

As always, thank you for your input.

Fire tiger colored clousers are always a good choice

2CA16E81-4937-4384-96FC-FD0CF1944DEA.jpeg.ce3cdedb0b5be97683b075668fbdaa2a.jpegBF8F59E5-9885-40DC-BC1A-66E3EE78B2CB.jpeg.ecaff7b0313a21efd0c26c22b3c99170.jpeg
Not a Yellow Perch but a ???  ( can you guess? )

The feisty yellow Perch, my favorite non Salmonid.  Yellow and silver muddler works here in Mass in the Autumn.

TLLB0310.JPG.54b823a1f85d23d41fafa817c87ef4c1.JPG

If I remember correctly: Perch, like their relative the Walleye, are mainly small fry/minnow eaters.  If you can spot or net some local minnows, then you have the pattern you need.  Match a streamer pattern in color and size and you'll catch all you can handle.

I do remember as a boy using something called wigglers, which I later found out were Brown Drake mayfly nymphs

picture_2165_large.jpg

I’ve caught hundreds of perch on this fly. 
I call it the “Cayuga lake crusher”

F8B7798C-E020-4A0E-B43D-880DE00FE245.thumb.jpeg.8c60f5840af6d0aad6f0d4332279b469.jpeg

Super easy to tie. streamer hook, pearl crystal flash. I used to tie them unweighted and just put a small split shot right in front of the fly. Have tied some recently with lead wraps under the head. 
This fly has also accounted for many smallmouth, landlocked salmon and many other species. 

European (Perca fluviatilis)?

I couldn’t tell the difference, but there are a few distinct species despite similar appearance.

the squirrel patterns used for trout have worked thru the ice for perch at shabbona  pink and green at early ice and darker colors dropped of a spoon when they go deep.    also go bigger 10 and 8 or you will be using pliers to dig out the hook each fish

I don't target yellow perch that often.  I've caught more through the ice than I have with a fly rod.  Most of the ones I've caught with the fly rod have been on this fly.

estaz_bug.jpg.0c48484171a5bd2578413953407efb9a.jpg

Pretty simple pattern

Hook:  Straight eye streamer.  2XL

Thread: white or clear polyester or mono

Weight:  Three or four wraps of lead or non-lead wire on the center of the shank

Body: Pearl estaz, wrapped and trimmed to shape.  I'm trying to get the body shape of a Twister tail grub

Tail: White marabou with a couple of pieces of flash material on each side.

I've also tied it yellow, chartreuse, root beer and silver.  Pearl is the most consistent fish catcher 

Of course the only picture I have a yellow perch I caught on a fly rod  took a top water.

695489578_YellowPerch(2).thumb.jpg.a887104fc4b6883e37026a2f2117449b.jpg

I caught many of them when I was a kid, fishing for them in late February into April, when they would run up the brackish tidal rivers in MD to spawn. Any flashy fly seems to work, and I used a White Miller wet fly often. 

We used to catch them fishing for bass & Crappies too on a variety of flies and lures, such as small spinnerbaits. 

One of the better flies that I caught them on was a small, simple, white feather wing streamer, which I also used for Crappies in the shallow brackish rivers. Clouser Minnows worked too, but I didn't use them as often, unless tied with bead chain or small brass barbells. But toss those white streamers along the edges of the Spadderdock pads, something would usually slam them. 

These are tied on Gamakatsu B10S hooks in size 6. The fly in the upper right is a mini version of an all white Seaducer, which also is a good fly for Perch & Crappies. 

100_4519.JPG