Fly Tying

Bluegills pics

Couple summers ago I hammered local state lake bream beads.  (Put and take fishery).  Put few coolers of the “coppernosed” in son-in-law’s lil pond.  The girls have been having a time catching them ever since.   I dumped out water then took pic.  Undersized went in too...  lil popper with chironomid underneath did the trick.  

E2538223-C982-4A08-9143-F31C71C571BE.jpeg

38C1640D-46B6-4102-AA71-06C60FC79E47.jpeg

9D8D882A-0883-437F-85BE-1CF150F4990E.jpeg

CDC301E2-474E-487F-892E-D47144E0FC01.jpeg

Got the idea from another forum.  If a problem delete, move whatever; you da Ramrod...  Not much traffic in cold, warm water anyway...Unless somebody comes sluming.😏

Naw, you're okay.  I'm just not posting my pictures in two separate places.  Everybody has there own ideas on threads.  Some start a new thread every time they tie a fly, instead of just posting them in the monthly "... from the bench" thread.  Just clutters up the place, if you get my gist.

Please don't take my opinions as a rebuke ... it's just an opinion.

I can't resist doing this.  We have some really mean bluegills in the local lakes.

Mako teeth (2).jpg

This is my best 'gill of the year.  Was caught on a hare's ear while tight line nymphing around some road side cypress knees one afternoon.  Came in at about 9".  Not a world beater, but fun on the 3 wt.

spacer.png

Chris, used to live in Shreveport. Saw some huge bluegill come out of Caddo Lake. We used to fish Cross Lake north of S'port. Found a  honey hole at Squirrel Point on the north side of the lake. Water was 3-4 feet deep and the 'gills would be around the cypress knees. Ate a lot of fresh fish for 5 years. Bonus at Cross Lake was the bald eagles and the huge nests on the north side. BTW, haven't been to a crawfish boil since 1988!

Awesome photos, guys.  I'm surprised at how dark some of those guys get down there, as opposed to the ones i catch here in New England.  Ours don't get that big either, of course.   

I think coloring depends on the clarity and type of water.

Here's one that came out of a lake in NE PA which is slightly tannic and weedy

P5230259.JPG.af8fb04dc0f3a6db0540178bc067a992.JPG

This one came out of a clear rocky lake in Central Vermont, but it's a Pumpkinseed

bluegill-VT.thumb.jpg.c24af94afe1961972b0bead467f6cb92.jpg

This is a Pumpkinseed that came out of the same lake as the bluegill

177783572_P5240265(2).thumb.JPG.75fe1b346e6f07eedbd9c3b40bd62557.JPG