Fly Tying
Bimini15

Odds or evens?

I have a 2/0,  3, 4, 3-6's, 8, 9, 2-10's, 12,13, 2-14's and a 16wt. I intended to go by 2's but I buy mostly at estate sales and on eBay so I buy what I can get close to what I want if it's a good deal.

I'm one of those that goes from 3wt to 9wt and have several doubles of one in graphite or glass and one in bamboo. I have bamboo in 3,4,5,6, and 8. Graphite in 3,4, and six. Glass from 5 to 9. Many of those rods are older than most people on the board and all of my glass are from the Shakespeare Wonderod Howell Spiral wrap days. I have a collection of reels that could outfit almost each one of these separately if I had need and someday I'm going to start getting pictures and thin the herd. 

Oh yeah, I also have some classic old baitcasting and spinning reels and rods in steel and fiberglass. Also a dozen or more modern graphite spin and baitcasting rods and reels. When I actually type this out I begin to see why my wife says she doesn't want to deal with this when I'm outa here and to do it now. She'd only start selling stuff for I told her I paid for it.

Here's my current rods-  Next purchase will be a 9' 3Wt.  3's are perfect for 90% of my fishing.

5' 6" 3Wt.  Cabela's fiberlass

7' 3" 3Wt.  LL Bean Pocket Water graphite

9' 5Wt  Hardy Graphite

7' 6" 5Wt  Unknown bamboo

9'  7Wt  South Bend bamboo

2 3-weights, 7' and 7'9"

2 5-weights, 8'6" and 9'

3 6-weights, 8' 8'6", and 9'

2 7-weights, 9' and 10' 

That's just the current lineup; there are quite a few more that have been broken/retired or given away.

The above being said, I really don't putting a one-line-weight-only label on many of them. For example, the 7'9" 3-wt. will also throw a WF4, one of the 5-weights is really a 4/5 and another is really a 5/6, as in one of the 6-weights. My 9' 6-weight was built on a blank sold as a 5-weight, and the 9' 7-weight was built on the blank that the same manufacturer sells as a 6-weight. The 10' 7-weight that Steeldrifter (Midwest Custom Fly Rods) built for me is currently loaded with a WF8F line. 

And so it goes. Numbers may not lie, but they don't always tell the "whole truth" either. :)

Until recently, I had a 1 wt (TFO Finesse) , 2 wt (Orvis Silver Label), 3 wt (Echo Base), 4 wt (Orvis Clearwater), 5 wt (Orvis Frequent Flyer) and 7 wt (Echo Ion XL).

I've since sold the 1 wt, but added an additional 5 wt (Orvis H3F) that my wife won and used the funds from the 1 wt to buy an additional 2 wt (Echo Dry 290-4).

Depending on how I like the new 2 wt, I may end up selling the 3 wt Echo Base.  If so, my line up will be 2 wt, 2 wt, 4 wt, 5 wt, 5 wt, 7 wt.

So really, there's no rhyme or reason to my lineup.

Chris

I have 2-4's and 2-6s and an 8.  One 4 and one 6 in Orvis graphite, hydros and helios respectively 9' each. The other 4 and 6 are cane 8' each. The 8 is a Scott 8'. Looking at picking up a cane 5wt. soon.  Well at least those are the ones I use. 

I didn’t think I had too many until I started this thread 

weight        Rod

4          9’ Fenwick

5.          9’ Fenwick + 7.5’ Fenwick

7.          9’ TFO. + 9’ custom

8.          9’ Sage + 9’ from Steve

9.          9’ 

10.        9’ Grandt

12.        9’ from Steve

The only one that does not get used each year is the 7.5. That will go to the grandson when he gets bigger. 

I use to have a ton more, up near 40 rods, but thinned them down about 8-10 yrs ago because so many of them just sat unused. Most rods can be dual rated so I no longer keep one wt in each category. But now just have certain lengths that work better for certain situations/streams. Off the top pf my head I have the following, probably missed one or two but these are the ones that get the most use..

12' 5/6 spey

9' 4wt

9'5wt

10'4wt

10' 7wt

10' 7wt

10'8" 7wt switch

9'6" 8wt

9' 7wt

8'6" 7wt

8' 7wt

10' 3wt

9' 10wt

I like to have multiples of the same size or similar rods to have them rigged up for different situations without having to re-rig. (that's for boat work)