Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flymanaj

Turkey Tail nymph

7 hours ago, vicrider said:

Looks good just like that. I'd still be tempted to add legs to it and probably mess it up.

I agree, it looks great!  However, if you want to add legs tie in the wing case with the tips hanging over the hook eye a little longer than the thorax.  Then when you pull it over and tie off push the tips back and tie them off at the same time.  Then clip the butts.  Not my idea but you can see how from Barry Ord Clark here Tying the Pheasant Tail Nymph with Barry Ord Clarke - YouTube  ( I know pheasant and not turkey but might work similarly...)

Still think it looks great!

I'd fish it!  It would be nice to see some fish have to loosen THEIR belts for a change!

Kim

This is how I tie pheasant tails. Two separate bunches of fiber. One for the tail and body then another for the legs and wingcase. The turkey tail nymph on the other hand is tied with one singular bunch.SDC15242.thumb.jpg.87f9a89ef175eea58f620c7cc758f252.jpg

Beautiful work. I look at flies like yours and it gives me something to strive for even if I've tied for years. Great quality work.

Nick