Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chasing_Tails

North to PA for Thanksgiving. Steelhead report 11/27/20

Visited family in PA over Thanksgiving and originally had a guide trip planned for Wednesday but got weathered out. It was a good thing as the extra rain from Wednesday had fish on the move today. 

Started out before daylight fishing Lake Erie Tributary creeks. Fished several deeper runs with limited success before finding a few fish moving in shallower water. Hookup and the fish turned downstream and freight trained me over a log jam. 

From there we did fish some of the deeper runs, some holding fish, but it was more fun sight casting to the movers.

Setup was a stonefly nymph with an attractor bead.

total tally, 4 landed, 1 snagged landed (dorsal fun), and 8 or so freight trains that humbled me.

Great day. Thanks goes to Nick at Wildwood Outfitters. Great guide not only on the fishing but the type of guy that makes the day fun for anyone.

Sad thing,  I grew up in PA until turning 18 and never chased Steelhead. Fished mostly warm water and some trout. Definitely time to make it up...6C4CE22B-7884-45A2-A054-DD03809374AC.thumb.jpeg.54122a44aaef64ee985c7a3323be5993.jpegEC13817F-ACA7-4386-B35D-8E55E24859B7.thumb.jpeg.e74a0f5db49e77c4e8f7ced747c5b286.jpeg

Nice steelies. Some friends & I use to hit the Pa streams each January for some chrome. Use to hit Walnut and Elk and a few of the mile creeks . Always enjoyed the fishing but stopped doing it because the crowds got to be too much. Crazy how packed some of the more well known creeks can get over there.