Fly Tying
chugbug27

ISO Streamside Hatches Book Recommendations

I'm looking for a nuts & bolts, reliable reference book of important streamside hatches, coast to coast -- specific to the hatches that trout key in on when they're eating selectively.   My understanding is that Art Flick made one in 1969 for northeastern hatches (currently the "New Streamside Guide to Naturals and Their Imitations"), and that Dave Hughes made one in 1989 for western hatches (currently "Pocketguide to Western Hatches").  Are these two books still the best angle of attack for this effort, or are there other books that improve on (or significantly add to) the subject?  

While the book/s can suggest patterns to tie for each hatch (as these two do), mainly I'm hoping to find a reliable source about the major hatches themselves. (I can google for and experiment with patterns easily enough once I know what I want to imitate.) For instance, a pale morning dun is a major hatch at least in the western US, starting with nymphs drifting, and then rising, emerging into duns, drying, and falling as spinners. Each of those life cycle stages happen at general times of the day, in general places in the river, etc. I'm looking for something that has good pictures of the bugs and reliable information about the bugs themselves in relation to fly fishing for trout, and only then maybe some suggested patterns.

Much thanks in advance!

@chugbug27 Something like this? Except the pictures came in in the wrong order. Should be emergences-> patterns-> pictures. This particular book doesn't have the pictures of the insects though I thought it might be close. "The Yellowstone Fly-Fishing Guide" Craig Matthews and Clayton Molinaro.  I think that you might have some trouble as your geographical area is so large. Arty Flick's book was pretty much for the Schoharie Creek and other Catskill waters.  Not sure about Hughes' book. I think I see an authorship in your future.

PHOTO_20201202_154151.jpg

PHOTO_20201202_154212.jpg

PHOTO_20201202_154130.jpg

Check out “trout” by Ernest schweibert

i know it covers a lot of insects but don’t know if it’s by areas of the country

Thanks @Sandan, I'm looking more for info about the insects themselves and how they behave and look in each different aspect of their life cycle. Not hatch charts per se.

@flytire thanks I will check it out

Chugbug27, I've been using  "Trout Stream Insects, An Orvis Streamside Guide" by Dick Pobst, for years.  It's fairly detailed for a book that will fit in your coat pocket.  It's served me well for tying flies here in the Northeast.  It has both Eastern and Western hatches.  I think you would find it useful, and I've got a deal for you.  I had to go up to my tying room to find the book so I could give you the title.  Discovered I have two of them.  I really only need one.  So if you send me your snail mail address in a PM, I'll get it in the mail to you.

Thanks @Philly, pm on the way. Sounds handy. And thanks  @Jaydub, too for the info. I once had Hafele & Hughes' Western Streamside Guide and seem to have lost it in my move.

I'll keep my eye out for the others over time. Tired of hunting & pecking the internet on this subject.

@Sandan I don't think I have the cred for authorship, but I did once start a cheat sheet for streams in the eastern Sierras, just for my own reference. Didn't get far with it. Might hit reset and start it again, depending. If it gets anywhere I'll share it.

If you want a general guide try the Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Insects and Spiders.  It is not specifically for "trout" bugs but, is a great bug guide.  I live in the Midwest so I also recommend The Hatch Guide for Upper Midwest Streams  by Ann Miller.  More about the bugs although there are lists of corresponding flies.

This is great guys, thanks. My wife's been asking for ideas on a Christmas present, and now I've got some. If I ever compile enough cheat sheets for a book, @Sandangets the first copy.