Fly Tying
DFoster

Tis' the season

DFoster,

I can resonate with reminiscing about the memories of the past year.  I continue to fish year round.  I was determined to find an easier knot to tie in the cold weather; the one I have used for several years was difficult to tie with very cold hands.  I came upon the Davy Knot and have used it for the past year without any failure. I use what is referred to as the Double Davy knot.  Also, while at the vise I visualize where I am going to cast the flies (usually on my favorite tailwater) and I of course visualize the takes on all of the dry flies.

Bottom line ..... fly tying for me is very enjoyable.  Two of my favorite flies are comprised of two materials each.  I have never gotten into really difficult patterns and techniques.  I did get a CDC Swiss Clamp last year and I have enjoyed working with it

Happy tying!

‘Tis da “Anticipation” season’.  When I am home or not heading out to one of our great rivers, I will be tying flies for about 2 hours every morning.  After the annual 2 week trip to Florida for Thanksgiving, it will be several months before Montana rivers come into shape or that Spring trip to Florida.  I must admit that 90% of the flies I tie become donations to TU auctions, raffles, swaps or given to friends and strangers alike.  Morning fly tying is much like morning coffee—relaxing and routine.  Albeit 100% of the coffee I drink ends up as piss, I at least fish 10% of the flies I tie.  From December to March, its pretty much every day anticipation of the fishing to come.  And it does come every year so far.

For the past 15 years or so I haven't been fishing because of bad kidneys - was on dialysis for almost 8 years and did not even have the energy to even tie.  I'm now 4+ years after getting my wonderful gift and am now enjoying the best health I've had in 20 years.  I now love to tie most days and will be fishing this coming spring.

Kim

7 minutes ago, WWKimba said:

For the past 15 years or so I haven't been fishing because of bad kidneys - was on dialysis for almost 8 years and did not even have the energy to even tie.  I'm now 4+ years after getting my wonderful gift and am now enjoying the best health I've had in 20 years.  I now love to tie most days and will be fishing this coming spring.

Kim

Kim I am so happy to hear that! Health is something that’s easy to take for granted.  A  really close call via a heart attack 6 years ago changed my outlook on life forever .  You must truly love our sport to hang in there for 15 years and It’s my hope that first day back on the water will be a day of days. 
  A wise person once said “Any time spent on a River is a gift”.  Damn straight.  

13 hours ago, kerusso said:

DFoster,

I can resonate with reminiscing about the memories of the past year.  I continue to fish year round.  I was determined to find an easier knot to tie in the cold weather; the one I have used for several years was difficult to tie with very cold hands.  I came upon the Davy Knot and have used it for the past year without any failure. I use what is referred to as the Double Davy knot.  Also, while at the vise I visualize where I am going to cast the flies (usually on my favorite tailwater) and I of course visualize the takes on all of the dry flies.

Bottom line ..... fly tying for me is very enjoyable.  Two of my favorite flies are comprised of two materials each.  I have never gotten into really difficult patterns and techniques.  I did get a CDC Swiss Clamp last year and I have enjoyed working with it

Happy tying!

I love the Davy knot and use it often especially on cold days.  However as I learned from a forum discussion here about knots the Davy knot has been proven weaker than other knots.  That said I have landed some large rainbows using a Davy knot.  I still use a clinch knot when salmon fishing or if I'm fishing down stream where the fish has the advantage of the weight of the current.

On 12/3/2020 at 3:42 PM, mikechell said:

What is this "winter" you speak of? 

We get a couple of cold snaps (frost on the windshield) through the short days ... but, fortunately, no real winter.

Kiss my ...

14 hours ago, DFoster said:

Kim I am so happy to hear that! Health is something that’s easy to take for granted.  A  really close call via a heart attack 6 years ago changed my outlook on life forever .  You must truly love our sport to hang in there for 15 years and It’s my hope that first day back on the water will be a day of days. 
  A wise person once said “Any time spent on a River is a gift”.  Damn straight.  

Thanks.  Back in the late '50's my parents were told I'd need a transplant sometime between 14 and 20 years old and that I'd be 90-120 lbs and between 4'9" and 5'2" tall.  Well, I was a football lineman and in track was a shot put and discus man.  I'm 6' and 140 lbs PLUS that 200 lb person I must have eaten! :)  I learned early to live life to it's fullest.

I learned early that there are two great days when fishing - 1) when you go out and catch fish and 2) when you go out and don't catch fish!

Where are you in MA?  I used to teach at a BSA Camp School every March at the Colonial Lodge (and Conference Center - as known back then) near Gardner.

Kim

3 hours ago, WWKimba said:

Thanks.  Back in the late '50's my parents were told I'd need a transplant sometime between 14 and 20 years old and that I'd be 90-120 lbs and between 4'9" and 5'2" tall.  Well, I was a football lineman and in track was a shot put and discus man.  I'm 6' and 140 lbs PLUS that 200 lb person I must have eaten! :)  I learned early to live life to it's fullest.

I learned early that there are two great days when fishing - 1) when you go out and catch fish and 2) when you go out and don't catch fish!

Where are you in MA?  I used to teach at a BSA Camp School every March at the Colonial Lodge (and Conference Center - as known back then) near Gardner.

Kim

Hi Kim I live in Charlton a half hour drive from Gardner and I am very familiar with the Colonial.  The company I work for always holds the Christmas party at the Colonial (except this year do to the virus).  The place is absolutely beautiful.  Work pays to put the entire company up overnight so we can indulge in adult beverages and the food is gourmet.

33 minutes ago, DFoster said:

Hi Kim I live in Charlton a half hour drive from Gardner and I am very familiar with the Colonial.  The company I work for always holds the Christmas party at the Colonial (except this year do to the virus).  The place is absolutely beautiful.  Work pays to put the entire company up overnight so we can indulge in adult beverages and the food is gourmet.

The last time I taught there I had gotten there on Thursday - faculty always got there a day early.  At midnight the lodge officially changed ownership.  The next morning we all woke up to cold showers!  It seems the boiler system went down at about 2 AM and the new owners weren't prepared to handle the situation.

At breakfast I heard everyone complaining and told them that I had hot water - they asked how and I told them I did it the scout way.  Those who knew me said "Kim, you didn't start a fire in your room!?"  I said no, but asked them if they didn't see the coffee pots in there rooms!  For some reason I've not been asked back! :) 

Kim

11 hours ago, DarrellP said:

Kiss my ...

🤣  You know ... down here you can bare it for that comment and not have it freeze off !!!

On 12/4/2020 at 8:15 AM, DFoster said:

Laugh it up Mr. Chell - I especially enjoy the video post of you fishing in short sleeves in mid January!

C'mon man, Mike only has short sleeves!😃

11 hours ago, jacktjl said:

C'mon man, Mike only has short sleeves!😃

Nah, he's got long sleeves packed away just in case the temp drops below 75-  🥶

Unfortunately, my company sometimes sends me into the frozen north.  So I do have cold weather gear.  

Of course, it's all packed away at the moment.  We're having a cold front come through tomorrow.  Highs only around 60.  So, as DFoster pointed out ... I'm pulling the long sleeves out tonight !!!

18 hours ago, mikechell said:

Unfortunately, my company sometimes sends me into the frozen north.  So I do have cold weather gear.  

Of course, it's all packed away at the moment.  We're having a cold front come through tomorrow.  Highs only around 60.  So, as DFoster pointed out ... I'm pulling the long sleeves out tonight !!!

20 years ago I worked for a company based in West Palm.  The receptionist was originally from Michigan.  One day after shoveling her car out she loaded it up, drove to the airport and bought a one way ticket to Fla.  She said she called her parents and told them where to pick up her car and she was quite proud of not having any source of heat at her Fla residence.  Your kind of girl Mike!

I've always gone by the philosophy that you can ALWAYS put more layers of clothes on BUT you can only take so many off!  Besides, at my age I could never master that all over tan look because of all the folds a creases!  Now you all have your visual for the day - YOUR WELCOME!

Kim