Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
chugbug27

Ronn Lucas Sr Tutorial, Lesson II - Silver Monkey

Back to cyanide & seltzer... This is from lesson two of the Ronn Lucas Sr. tutorials, Charles DeFeo's Silver Monkey. 

2122544644_SilverMonkey2.thumb.jpg.63d4069555b6b5efe734d5443deadb3d.jpg

I'm seeing that quality materials do really make a big difference on these types of flies. My rib and floss were Sunrise, which really degrades the outcome. 

Helpful critique welcome. 

And a BIG if somewhat belated thank you to @Moshup, who recently sent me a small but mighty package of salmon fly tying materials -- here a patch of silver monkey fur:

Silver_Monkey_Fur_Patch_from_Moshup.thumb.jpg.2cecd74a3e95e6de05aa02274e919e43.jpg

6 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

Charles DeFeo's Silver Monkey. 

Nice tie Chug, I think you nailed it proportionally, like the monkey sparse like you have it, it really looks good. Only you (and us, only because you told us) know it was sunrise tinsel rib and floss, while a nice French tinsel and silk may be called for and where readily and the best available during Charles DeFeo's prime period that may not be accurate today. Some oval or round twist lay better than others your looks good in the photo I have to watch my application as I am a southpaw and can open up the twist applying it. It is a great looking tie and if you intent is to fish it (hopefully) you should be very happy. The only thing I would add would be a smooth glossy head finish!

@chugbug27 looks great my friend. Keep up the good work. I second that thanks to @Moshup who sent me some very cool stuff too.

Like the tackle shop guy said in "Best in Show", "catch a big one". 

3 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

When and where,

Hmm, The Ragin Cajun (Bud Guidry) used to say he was from the salmon fishing capitol of the world (South Louisiana) 😁. Chug you might want to look him up and drop him a line he is a superb tier and was always helpful to tiers getting into classic salmon flies and hails from down your way. He was selling a lot of material on e-bay for a while haven't seen him active there or here lately, he was a administrator of the old classic site.