Fly Tying
Chris_in_Louisiana

Carp on the Fly

I decided to try something different last week and tied up a set of carp flies with the intent of catching my first common carp on a fly rod.

Turned out to be a great day and is something I'll definitely be doing more of in the future.  Full story at the link:

https://fatfingeredflytyer.com/carp-on-the-fly-a-field-report/

spacer.png

spacer.png

You are hooked! Did it this summer and it's a blast. There is a FB page on fly fishing for carp Also, check out this website. Scroll down for that particular section. Lived in Shreveport and Pineville. Never thought of carp down there.

www.carpanglersgroup.com

I haven't specifically targeted carp on the fly, but I have caught a few big ones on the fly while fishing for other fish. They really are a heavy weight fight that's for sure. Great fun.

My OCD says to make sure your line is not wrapped around the rod sections when assembling the rod next time ;) LOL ...couldn't resist (rod pic)

20 minutes ago, Steeldrifter said:

My OCD says to make sure your line is not wrapped around the rod sections when assembling the rod next time ;) LOL ...couldn't resist (rod pic)

Haha.  Believe it or not, that wasn't an assembly issue.  That was a result of frantically hauling in line after my first off the mark cast to a fish cruising across a flat about 40-50 ft in front of me.  Got the line in and took another shot without any false casts.  The fish had hit and was already on the reel by the time I realized the line had wrapped in the process.

@skeet3t Thanks!  I'll check out the link.

Chris

Chris, there is a book on FFing for carp by Brad Befus. I think that is the correct name.

Edit- here is a link for the book. I'm sure that it can be found in other places.

https://www.amazon.com/Carp-Fly-Flyfishing-Barry-Reynolds/dp/1555661866?fbclid=IwAR0tIcdMrT1LSK2kWNucvRzuQunP73TuH_IROMUSDqohI8EiRubB0HKKFxk

23 hours ago, skeet3t said:

Chris, there is a book on FFing for carp by Brad Befus. I think that is the correct name.

Edit- here is a link for the book. I'm sure that it can be found in other places.

https://www.amazon.com/Carp-Fly-Flyfishing-Barry-Reynolds/dp/1555661866?fbclid=IwAR0tIcdMrT1LSK2kWNucvRzuQunP73TuH_IROMUSDqohI8EiRubB0HKKFxk

I actually passed that title along to my wife a few weeks ago when she was asking for Christmas gift ideas.  So with any luck, I'll have a copy next week.