Fly Tying
chugbug27

Ronn Lucas Sr. Tutorial, Lesson 3 - Strip Wing

Continuing with the Ronn Lucas tutorials, lesson 3 is the Gold & Red Strip Wing. I did this with mottled turkey. Any constructive criticism is welcome. Specifically, I'm seeing that I'm getting a bulge at the back of the flat tinsel and at the back of the floss where the wrapping shifts on the second layer from backward to forward. Any tips on how to avoid that lump? Also, I think the wing might be too short? and the throat too long? Last, I think I've got to cut the wing butts off at more of an angle to get a smaller and more triangular head.

1599929234_FeatherwingBarredTurkey2.thumb.jpg.8ef8680860f4fbe4e6d8fe04478b742c.jpg

114307911_FeatherwingBarredTurkey2top.thumb.jpg.e00250d33d34471cf5d7dad113f4609f.jpg

Thanks @flytire. That's the tutorial, more or less. I used the version on his own website here, seems the same:

http://ronnlucassr.com/tutorials/gold-red-strip-wing/

Both tinsel and floss tied back and forth per tutorial. Any tricks for avoiding bump where it turns around?

And the wing, yes the tutorial's goes back to the tail. Mine seemed to shrink. 🤷‍♂️

33 minutes ago, chugbug27 said:

Thanks @flytire. That's the tutorial, more or less. I used the version on his own website here, seems the same:

http://ronnlucassr.com/tutorials/gold-red-strip-wing/

Both tinsel and floss tied back and forth per tutorial. Any tricks for avoiding bump where it turns around?

And the wing, yes the tutorial's goes back to the tail. Mine seemed to shrink. 🤷‍♂️

I'm sure no expert, I'm wondering if when you were wrapping the floss in both directions if you kept untwisting it. Looking closely if looks like that first wrap coming back is at an angle to the rest of the wraps maybe that's part of the bump issue. Just trying to help. Anyhow I think it's a great looking effort and fly.

47 minutes ago, chugbug27 said:

Any tricks for avoiding bump where it turns around?

yes

flatten the floss as it says in the tutorial. you may have to stroke the floss flat

after wrapping floss back toward the bend to the stopping point, ensure the floss is flattened as you wrap it toward the hook eye

Nice job Chug- I don't tie these beauty's so I have no advice or criticism to offer but I must say I respect anyone who is willing step into the world of the classic salmon fly.  They are sort of the concert pianist to the fly tying world.  Best wishes.

On 12/14/2020 at 9:07 AM, flytire said:

yes

flatten the floss as it says in the tutorial. you may have to stroke the floss flat

after wrapping floss back toward the bend to the stopping point, ensure the floss is flattened as you wrap it toward the hook eye

@flytire just jogged my memory. You can use your bodkin to flatten the floss. 

Using the bodkin or dubbing needle

Good floss work

Thanks ft & sandan. I tried flattening with my fingers but apparently I wasn't diligent enough. Eyes aren't much help either on the shiney materials. Maybe polarized readers....

45 minutes ago, chugbug27 said:

Maybe polarized readers....

And you can fish with them too🤣

Don Bastian's DVDs address all your concerns and you can see them 'in action.'  Now all I have to do is get them to work in my own tying.  He also has about the best demo of how to prep and set the quill wings.  Keep on tying.

Thanks, Bob H

Next effort...

1143412434_FeatherwingBarredTurkey4.thumb.jpg.6986b0e93862f11bc76ba72875e463d0.jpg

I switched to one strand of Pearsall's Maribou (cardinal), which was a lot easier on me to keep the fibers in line than Uni Floss. But it did fray a little easier. I also switched thread from Uni 8/0 to Danville 6/0 and wrapped multiple layers up and down the underbody. I extended the wing as well, but I'm finding the feather is very tough to compress the closer it gets to the rachis. One question I have is, am I using the correct side of the feather? On the feather whose tip bends out to the left, I'm using the right side of it, and I'm using the left side of the matching feather whose tip bends out to the right.  The other side of the feather is more flimsy and would be easier to tie in, but I think that's not the correct side to use?

Much thanks for the feedback.

Very nice. I can't answer your question, except to say the feathers I think should end up "cupped", maybe someone else will be more definitive. Nice job solving the "bump" issue