Fly Tying
chugbug27

Ronn Lucas Sr. Tutorial, Lesson 3 - Strip Wing

Chug,

That link is to one of his 3 DVDs.  The others are Tying Classic Wet Flies and Traditional Streamers and Bucktails.  Great techniques in all 3.

Thanks, Bob H

Yep your going now! Figuring out how Different materials react and THREAD Control makes job easier and fly more Dandy. A little work on your ribbing and you’ll really be styling . Let’s see some more.

Thanks for the encouragement @Bruce Derington, it's coming around. I tightened up the ribs I think on this next one, and then I experimented with different wing materials. Still working on tying those in right. I'll get it. I think I tried using too much of the barred turkey this time around. Also looks like there's a gap between my tag and tinsel... Couldn't see that until I looked at the photo.  I'm going to get some better readers, maybe +4.00 or even +5.00.

Here's with barred turkey:

1328437369_GoldRedStripWingwithTurkey.thumb.jpg.671f409be09b1e2f0e5447015f916716.jpg

Here are the experiments... 

On the GP Tail, I think the problem is with the shape of the feathers themselves; not sure there's much I could do about that -- they come to a long fine point.

1584430891_GoldRedStripWingwithGPTailunfinished.thumb.jpg.f47d29790b45167641a1ee8f668ca3b5.jpg

On the tippet I think I got it pretty good; not sure about length and position, but I do think I got the general shape and fit?

223996144_GoldRedStripWingwithGPTippetunfinished.thumb.jpg.f727e7826f53b4488483df84072ea958.jpg

Anyways, thanks again

@chugbug27 "On the GP Tail, I think the problem is with the shape of the feathers themselves; not sure there's much I could do about that -- they come to a long fine point."

Take a look at the Snowies thread. @SalarMan explained it.

Great stuff ! It’s great seeing your progression. Hell I became a better tier by looking at my photos, unbelievable what we miss, or it’s just off bit, ( for me it’s the far side).

Nice  job Chugbug

Bruce is right. I am always amazed what I see wrong with things I tie in my photographs that escape the naked eye. Put those photos to good use!!