Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Djfan

Bird's Nest Fly

I don't hear a lot about this fly anymore.  It was the first one I tied by myself after my intro class I took about 1997.  Anyone use it anymore?

It's a pattern that certainly has some very fishy components.  Wood duck is one of my favorite materials to use on a fly.  I have not tied/fished  this fly yet.  I do have some sulpher soft hackles that closely resembles this fly.  Are you still using this fly?  If so, any success?

1 hour ago, kerusso said:

It's a pattern that certainly has some very fishy components.  Wood duck is one of my favorite materials to use on a fly.  I have not tied/fished  this fly yet.  I do have some sulpher soft hackles that closely resembles this fly.  Are you still using this fly?  If so, any success?

I haven't in years.  Ironically, I used to use it when I lived in CA and fished the Lower Owens.  So, planettrout's post is timely.

I'm just really into older patterns.  It's my focus, and so I brought this one out.  If you try it, let us know.

1 hour ago, Djfan said:

I haven't in years.  Ironically, I used to use it when I lived in CA and fished the Lower Owens.  So, planettrout's post is timely.

I'm just really into older patterns.  It's my focus, and so I brought this one out.  If you try it, let us know.

Ever seen this site's older fly forum?  Fly Anglers OnLine, Your Complete Internet Flyfishing Resource.  Look under the "Articles" pull-down and click on "Old Flies".  A very nice resource.

Kim

28 minutes ago, Djfan said:

Wow Kim!  That site is amazing!  Thanks!!!

This was my ORIGINAL fly tyers/fishers site.  Fantastic in it's day but the husband that helped run the financial side of the site died of a heart attack and a couple days year's his wife, the  one who ran the site itself passed away.  All the members truley miss The Ladyfisher!  It was a site you'd want to see AT LEAST every week because there was always something new.  And it all started when the two of them sat down at their kitchen table and designed a site that covered most areas of interest and that they would be proud to put their name too!

Kim

BTW, if you haven't already open all the tabs - maybe over a 3-day week-end :) and just see all it offered.