Fly Tying
fiveonomo

Lighting and Magnification

One final thought from someone who is certifiable when it comes to lighting and magnification for tying. The color of your desktop is also part of the equation.

Years ago I purchased  30" x 40" piece of flat white Corian to use on my tying desk and have NEVER regretted the money spent. No need to go that far if the budget doesn't allow...just go to the local dollar store and buy a piece of white 1/4" thick foam board which is usually about 24" x 30" and tie with that under the your vise base. It is beneficial from the standpoint of adding to the effectiveness of you lighting...plus it reduces shadows a great deal which is also very helpful for your tying and comfort for your eyes.

I repeat...buy readers with anti-reflective coating. Ask any ophthalmologist and they will tell you the same thing.

5 hours ago, SalarMan said:

One final thought from someone who is certifiable when it comes to lighting and magnification for tying. The color of your desktop is also part of the equation.

Years ago I purchased  30" x 40" piece of flat white Corian to use on my tying desk and have NEVER regretted the money spent. No need to go that far if the budget doesn't allow...just go to the local dollar store and buy a piece of white 1/4" thick foam board which is usually about 24" x 30" and tie with that under the your vise base. It is beneficial from the standpoint of adding to the effectiveness of you lighting...plus it reduces shadows a great deal which is also very helpful for your tying and comfort for your eyes.

I repeat...buy readers with anti-reflective coating. Ask any ophthalmologist and they will tell you the same thing.

I found that just a large sheet of white foam (same thing you'd tie your Panfish Gurglers with works nice - and you know how else the stuff can be used!  Also, it can easily be put down as a background mat or suspended as a backdrop.

Kim

Same general idea...just the finish is flat (matte) and NOT shiny. The bigger the better too......

On 12/21/2020 at 4:00 PM, mikechell said:

Dollar Tree has them, too.  

How much are they?🤪

I use a tan cloth on the table and the wall for background. Also have dark brown and medium brown cloth.

I just snapped a couple of photos of my tying desk. The one photo with the lights angled toward the camera DO NOT show the components at all. The long rectangular fixture is composed of both cool white and soft white leds. The round fixture has an 8" diameter cool white fluorescent bulb and a soft white led bulb. These combos are darn near prefect for color identification and comfort on the eyes. They supply plenty of light and that flat white surface just brightens the entire area for the better. The office window at my back faces southwest and supplies another source of light to meet my crazy more the merrier approach to this.

Hope this helps you settle on what will work for you.

George

1036505708_DSC_0004(2).thumb.JPG.9fab7a8bcd262d5938929bcb14d2db5c.JPG925256297_DSC_0007(2).thumb.JPG.7cb059277b3b122a422b2a94de1ca112.JPG571159300_DSC_0009(2).thumb.JPG.7bda4df09e51c17d0a4553c49335203e.JPG

Thanks so much everyone for all of the help.  I found a pretty good light and it is working well for me.  My readers are on the way and my tying station base is white.  Every thing is coming together.

1 hour ago, fiveonomo said:

Thanks so much everyone for all of the help.  I found a pretty good light and it is working well for me.  My readers are on the way and my tying station base is white.  Every thing is coming together.

Sounds like you are losing all your excuses!

Kim

Searching to upgrade my lighting

LED vs. Incandescent vs Florescent light?

What little I've come across says that Natural is best (not often too practical) and Florescent is the worst.

LED is all the rage and certainly the least $$

Opinions/experiences very welcome. As well as specific makes/models. Not seeking magnifying setups.

Thanks,

MK

40 minutes ago, MK19 said:

What little I've come across says that Natural is best (not often too practical) and Florescent is the worst.

Opinions/experiences very welcome. As well as specific makes/models. Not seeking magnifying setups.

Thanks,

MK

I use a taotronic folding LED lamp. there are many styles. They have adjustable light levels and hues from soft white to daylight.

This is one.

https://www.taotronics.com/products/tt-dl01-led-desk-lamp?gclid=Cj0KCQiAw9qOBhC-ARIsAG-rdn7gAewECYWbUxhIZZYVwPNoOtkVaAC73FI0mAEtrwfHfT-gw4I5mG0aAtFaEALw_wcB

Thanks,

MK