Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
chugbug27

Ronn Lucas, Sr. Tutorial, Lesson 4 - Spey

Thank you @Bruce Derington, @SalarMan and others for the input and encouragement. The tying does get harder with each lesson...

So this is my spey fly from the 4th Ronn Lucas Sr. tutorial (ref: http://ronnlucassr.com/tutorials/the-carron-spey/ ). It got a lot more complicated... The ribbing got very tricky having to tie in that blue eared pheasant hackle at the fourth rib and only then tying the body and ribs forward. What a tangled mess that almost made. And the bronze mallard wing made learning upright turkey feather wings feel like kindergarten.

First the pic:

1260556485_CarronSpey2.thumb.jpg.d1e55a3090c2d5ca87e1115e8f57fa8b.jpg

My own uncertain eye sees:

[Edit: ... that I didn't read the tutorial closely enough... I'll try again. Meanwhile...]

Any comments or suggestions welcome.

Edited by chugbug27

You may be right on your 6 points above, I would never have noticed any of those points.  A very nice tie, nonetheless chugbug.  

So learning the new techniques can give you an appreciation for this form of tying. 
Setting  the wings properly can be daunting and complex ribbing can get ‘busy’ quick.  Great to see u working through the challenge 

Chug 1) I've never seen a fish read a book 2) I've never seen a fish on a computer and 3) nice tie!

Kim

The body work and hackling look well done from here! The Bronze Mallard wings are very tricky, indeed. I don't claim to be an expert on them by any means and I struggle with them every time. Its great to see you going through these tutorials, thanks for sharing!