Fly Tying
Mars Rover

What fly patterns for these fine wire up-eye hooks?

Especially the shorties. I’ve tied some spider-skaters but I don’t really use them and they’re a bit boring to tie after a while. Any other suggestions? Mostly just for fun and something that’s challenging to tie.

For the longer 94842s, I’ll probably just come up with some sparse Catskill patterns and leave some bare shank at the eye for a turle knot. Suggestions for what would look good? The dries I’ve tied with these so far just look a little bit “off”.

THANKS!

94825    4x short, Ex. fine

94843    4x short, 3x fine

94842    No specs on boxes, but I think they’re just an up-eye 94840

Fly Hooks 1.JPG

Get a copy of one of Sylvester Nemes books on Soft Hackle flies.  An endless variety of patterns, some are complex.  His older books are good, but his last book:

Two Centuries of Soft Hackle Flies - A survey of the literature complete with original patterns 1747-Present (2004) is a gold mine of potential patterns for these hooks.

I personally do not think they would be good hooks for soft hackles. If you look at the hook specifications, they are fine wire and wet fly hooks should be on a heavier wire so they sink more easily. The article below is by Dave Hughes who wrote the book, "Wet Flies".

https://midcurrent.com/gear/essential-trout-flies-hooks/

"The standard wet-fly hook has a standard-length shank made with 1X or 2X heavy wire. Examples are Tiemco TMC 9300 (1X heavy) and TMC 3769 (2X heavy); Mustad S80; Dai-Riki 070; Daiichi 1550; The Fly Shop 3769."

Those Mustad hooks were popular in the very smaller sizes because they were extra short so they had the shank length of a smaller hook BUT with the hook gap of a larger hook so it was easier to hook up with the fish. However these are larger sizes so I don't know what I would use them for.

You will notice that they have up turned eyes because long ago it was thought that upturned eyes "opened the hook gape" so it would hook more fish in small flies. We now know that that is a false belief.

The were the equivalent of the modern TMC 2466 hooks for tiny flies with a wide hooking gape.

32 minutes ago, SilverCreek said:

I personally do not think they would be good hooks for soft hackles. If you look at the hook specifications, they are fine wire and wet fly hooks should be on a heavier wire so they sink more easily.

I would respectfully disagree, even with D. Hughes.  Soft Hackles are excellent trailers behind buggers for swinging and are taken as emergers (IMHO) more than anything else.  Weight and depth not important.  The TMC 206BL was my ideal soft hackle hook until the Firehole Stick hooks came out a few years ago.  Carefully note the specs and recommended use.

1 hour ago, mikemac1 said:

Get a copy of one of Sylvester Nemes books on Soft Hackle flies.  An endless variety of patterns, some are complex.  His older books are good, but his last book:

Two Centuries of Soft Hackle Flies - A survey of the literature complete with original patterns 1747-Present (2004) is a gold mine of potential patterns for these hooks.

Another book for soft hackles that i would recommend is Helen Shaw's "Flies for Fish and Fisherman".  Alot of people don't know/forget that the sub-title of this book is "The Soft Hackles".  Used book sellers have nice copies for $7 - $10.

Kim

42 minutes ago, mikemac1 said:

I would respectfully disagree, even with D. Hughes.  Soft Hackles are excellent trailers behind buggers for swinging and are taken as emergers (IMHO) more than anything else.  Weight and depth not important.  The TMC 206BL was my ideal soft hackle hook until the Firehole Stick hooks came out a few years ago.  Carefully note the specs and recommended use.

I agree.  I tie most of my soft hackles on either standard wire or light wire hooks.  I usually want them either in the film, or no more than a few inches deep.  On those rare occasions (usually in winter)  when I want them any deeper, I'll either switch to a poly leader, add shot or put a weighted fly on point.

3 hours ago, Mars Rover said:

Especially the shorties. I’ve tied some spider-skaters but I don’t really use them and they’re a bit boring to tie after a while. Any other suggestions? Mostly just for fun and something that’s challenging to tie.

Reverse parachutes, rising caddis pupas, emergers (tie into the bend or do a big extended body), extended body dry flies, dry ants, woolly worms. Treat the 4x short like an emergers hook, which is 3x short. Tie the bend

3 hours ago, Mars Rover said:

For the longer 94842s

Flymphs, floating nymphs, emergers, cripples, reverse parachutes, anything on/in/just below the surface other than a traditional parachute

In a place where no fly shops the only hooks on the shelves smaller than 10 or 12 mostly called bait hooks are those types.   Not for everything but I use them a lot, octopus, etc.  I don’t mind the offset bend either.  

807847C4-0AC3-43DC-B9DD-FA3E2B73C96A.png

98A89C28-32DB-43C9-B8A8-F76FC7497E80.png

CF49FAC5-4D05-456F-A231-4BC203AA7EFA.png

A48EE87F-1497-4C25-92B6-2532D8E6EF7D.jpeg

Along the line of extended patterns, if you have the materials they work good for cranefly / daddylong leg patterns. Here's one that I used that works pretty well, though I wish it floated a little better while fishing.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks for all the suggestions I guess I should get over the fact that they're not curved shanks and tie down the shank for emerger patterns and such - or go for a good body to gap ratio for some standard patterns.

denduke - all of those flies look great on those bait hooks. You jogged my memory. I have used some of those Mustad 4xs hooks for extended  mayflies and if I remember, they looked pretty good. I have to dig some up and see. 

Thanks again.