Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

okay computer guys!

i want to use my iphone as a hotspot

i want my windows 10 laptop to connect to my iphone hotspot

it just wont connect

our family is having a zoom meeting on saturday. i will be at my dads house which has no internet connection. thats why i want to connect my laptop to my hotspot

i can always use my iphone for the zoom meeting

i did my share of googling this subject, tried some recommendations and nothing worked

any ideas?

Some data plans do not allow hot spotting. Mine's that way, anyhow. you might be able to get a temporary hot spot feature of some sort via your plan

1. Zoom from your phone directly works well for me.

2. See if some kind of free wifi is available from internet providers. Because of COVID and online schooling, many of them have some form.

I'm going with it's the hot spot and not the computer. My cellular service provider plan is an all unlimited everything plan including hotspot. However, the hot spot was not automatically turned on on their end. I had to call and have them turn the hot spot on for each phone on the plan. It didnt cost me anything more but for some reason they don't turn it on automatically. If your plan does not include the hotspot there will most likely be an upcharge. I do like this feature. 

Been trying to do the same hot spot thru an iPhone for connecting to the internet as CenturyLink keeps cutting out; while their service malfeasance has become exemplary insisting need to purchase a modem - router for an additional $15 / month as have WiFi & Bluetooth to connect the Windows 10; just not sure it both are needed for a Hot Spot connection as nothing  works so far.

yes i did use zoom on my iPhone directly with a test meeting with my niece

my niece  wants to have a zoom meeting with me and her grandfather, her brother and her mom and dad. we all cant be together because of covid

i just want to use my laptop so  my dad can see everybody on a larger screen

however i did read an article online about connecting my iPhone to my laptop using a usb cable. that seems promising as my laptop recognized my iPhone as a WI-FI source. now its time to do another zoom meeting with my niece to see if that works

Good luck, Norm.  I know a little about laptops, but nothing at all about I-phones.  I hope your Christmas group video call happens as planned.

okay a little bit more progress

i called iphone service provider, consumer celluar, and asked them to tour on the hotspot function for my phone

once that was one my iphone became the hot spot and my laptop connected to it

now i'll do a zoom meeting test with my niece and hopefully well connect

10 hours ago, flytire said:

yes i did use zoom on my iPhone directly with a test meeting with my niece

my niece  wants to have a zoom meeting with me and her grandfather, her brother and her mom and dad. we all cant be together because of covid

i just want to use my laptop so  my dad can see everybody on a larger screen

however i did read an article online about connecting my iPhone to my laptop using a usb cable. that seems promising as my laptop recognized my iPhone as a WI-FI source. now its time to do another zoom meeting with my niece to see if that works

Guessing need to purchase a USB/iPhone cable for this Hot Spot feature to work....which I'm guessing goes into the iPhone charging cable port ?

Edited by saltydancindave
info added

yes

using the iphone charging cable that comes with the iphone

plug one end into the iphone and the other end into the laptop

fe9fdf38-db87-45a0-8930-bf43a1e20640_1.3

our zoom meeting on Saturday went off perfectly.

me and dad in Norwich, Connecticut, niece in Worcester, Massachusetts, nephew in Aston, Pennsylvania and my brother in Edgewater, Florida

hooking my laptop to my iphone was the way to go and extremely easy

On 12/25/2020 at 5:05 AM, flytire said:

yes

using the iphone charging cable that comes with the iphone

plug one end into the iphone and the other end into the laptop

fe9fdf38-db87-45a0-8930-bf43a1e20640_1.3

Didn't consider could unplug the USB cable from the electric charging plug as looks like it's all one piece. Works though !