Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Arkie trip

Been antsy so getting ready for a trip.   Got rid of big floater 3 fly rigs and replace with some dads, pupae, midges with lil split shot in my Rigraps.   Generally streamer fish in the White, Spring River but you gotta get tiny in the Norfork and LittleRed.  They say the browns are on the movefeed before reeding up.  The lake releases are getting back to normal.  Hope this weekend storm doesn’t screw it up again.   Been in flood pool for couple of years now, Sheesh!

http://www.flyflinger.com/fishingreport.php

A44B14EC-D350-4244-963A-00EEDC8F5203.jpeg

Negative GhostRider....these are great rivers but still 6-7 hours away.   The closest trouting  too me.   Would have to catch a fast plane for CO.  Since about 2002 been hitting them at least once sometimes twice a year.   Got few kin   left in SE Arkie where I was born; catch them on every return trip.  

BTW the world record brown,40#, was from LittleRed for years till somebody broke it in MI I think.   I cast at a couple brutes up there on rare occasions but no joy.   They have a feeder creek, DryRunCreek, by the Hatchery on the Norfork that is just for kids and handicapped that has some huge cutthroats and browns in plain sight all the time.  When they crank up the generators in the afternoons and we can’t wade we let kids use our rods and lettem catch some.   They say in winter the browns get so thick in there you seem to could walk across their backs.  This will be first winter trip hope to witness it.   The pic is under the bridge at Cotter on the White.  They call themselves the trout capital, whatever.  

3CA6DA05-82A4-4298-85D4-9FD4721C8D68.png

That's only about three hours from me and I've never fished it, made a few trips over there only to find the water way to high. I used to fish the Beaver tailwater of the White regularly and think I'll start going there again in summer.

WThe Spring River, Mammoth Springs, on the MO line is not a tailwater but creates a trout fishery for about 10 mi.   Saved a many of trip when the others stayed flooded.  Go to MarkCrawford’s blog for info.  I usually hit it first then the White, Norfork, and finish down at The LilRed.  

https://www.springriverfliesandguides.com/blog 

click on the trout book.  44 pages and maps start at page 30

https://www.agfc.com/en/fishing/general-fishing-regulations/

On 12/30/2020 at 6:21 PM, denduke said:

...  They have a feeder creek, DryRunCreek, by the Hatchery on the Norfork that is just for kids and handicapped that has some huge cutthroats and browns in plain sight all the time.  When they crank up the generators in the afternoons and we can’t wade we let kids use our rods and lettem catch some.   They say in winter the browns get so thick in there you seem to could walk across their backs.  This will be first winter trip hope to witness it.   The pic is under the bridge at Cotter on the White.  They call themselves the trout capital, whatever.  

3CA6DA05-82A4-4298-85D4-9FD4721C8D68.png

Denduke, after a couple of years of nothing but troubles for me and now this last year of self-quarantining 2021 is looking better. I'm able to navigate better now, I'm scheduled for first and second vaccines in January already, and I'm going to be ready to enjoy some water time. That Dry Run Creek you talk about I have visited in the past when I was too healthy to fish it. After the few years I've had and with no guarantee of how many more I get I will take advantage of the handicap card issued by AR DNR to legally fish the creek. I have no guilt looking forward to having at least a couple of trout trips to last in my memory for hopefully a long time.

Hope you have a great trip. I've made a few guided trips on the White and am yet to have one of those trips they claim people have every day on there. Caught some fish, most stockers, and maybe one brown approaching size of your picture. What I get tired of on guided trips is all they want you to do is throw a bobber and drift. I caught some of my nicest fish when I took the bobber off and cast a sneaky pete or a bugger. Small soft hackles produced some nice fish for a friend of mine but never really gave them a chance. I'll be watching for your report and wish we could get together for a bit but won't be until after January's shot and enhanced immunity before I'd go.

They’ve made bunch of improvements.  Prolly be hard pressed to find a kid to fish if/when I visit this time of year.   Had a kinda bad experience there couple of years ago.  They have one of those old peanut machines you put a quarter in and get hand full of fish pellets.  I offered some to a family’s little girl visiting the hatchery  to feed the trout in the hatchery runs.   When she reached over to drop the feed about a dozen huge brooders launched and drenched the poor kid.   We calmed the squalling/shaken child and ended up taking her down to the creek and caught a nice rainbow on my rod/long handled net off the pier.  Whew....little wet but big grin👍

9FC5FF68-6332-435A-9581-801276BABEB5.png

0BDF4CF8-2282-4DDC-8B9B-40E8E5812A19.png

May just be me.   The SpringRiver and parts of other rivers the bottom is very light colored with some bedrock.  Same for most of Norfork and the White.  But the LilRed and especially near the dams on all of them the bottom rocks are plum black!   Anyway tied few light colored weighted Cdads after seeing some very light colored Cdads  scooting away up there in the shallows.  I think it makes a difference; maybe not...

Also a dark and light colored  weighted sculpins that have produced well there too.   Deer hair or craft fur dubbed over lead eyes mostly....

81AD4632-63DC-46E2-B92E-34B6EF6A944D.jpeg

6A921150-4D1F-4EB0-8357-DC182BB5A6A2.jpeg

82E30FD2-471B-446F-AA2E-06AA79C57589.png

BC04505B-B418-4212-9AD3-B864E66E6B2A.png

SpringRiver is one of those crazy places that sometimes Y2Ks are the hot fly.   I can understand stockers but the carryover lunkers go for big bright flies.  Amazing I’m trying to match the hatch .  😳 So tied up some more weighted candy if need some....

E457000A-DFD6-4E2C-80F4-8745CB3A24DF.jpeg

Dede and I on the White River, Cotter, Ark this AM.   36 degrees wind chill 28 but managed some nice browns and few rainbows.

1937D6A8-5BDA-4947-B0EB-7222A30568FE.jpeg

C500C45C-74A3-43CE-8714-A00A9348399D.jpeg

556045DE-3FF4-4E9D-968C-5DFA59822D80.jpeg

15351C11-F3CF-45F2-A582-E48A577D3EB5.jpeg

CBDEB7C1-0F34-4B1A-8711-E6AC394747D2.jpeg

B096C50C-67B6-4B1E-A0A6-BFD37D88A5BC.jpeg

8021617A-65F1-4F2A-A8AE-1C41E1B5EA8A.jpeg

Knew a family in Shreveport, LA who spent several days in each summer, floating and camping on the White River in AR. Told of some huge trout in that river.