Fly Tying
Mcnenc1

Saltwater Vise

I’m looking for a new vise and I tie nothing but saltwater flies. Any recommendations on a vise? My limit is $300 due to the dire need to replenish my entire arsenal. 

Dynaking makes great vises for tying saltwater patterns. Rotary feature would be handy as well.

BC54266D-D6DE-4D4F-9328-E8E99AD2D21D.jpeg

Most of the well known vise makers will be happy to sell you a vise for tying with the larger hooks that saltwater flies require... The only real difference is the jaws they come with (not very hard to actually break a set of freshwater jaws by trying to tighten down hooks too big for them to handle ... just another of those “Ask me how I know” moments...).

Along with the company already mentioned take a look at vises but Renzetti (and others).

Hope this helps

Based on your requirements you want to give the Renzetti Saltwater Traveler a hard look. Andy Renzetti invented the true rotary vise which is what most saltwater tyers want if they are using light cured acrylics, silicone, epoxies, spinning, stacking and trimming deer hair as well as a bunch of other stuff. Popovics, Clouser, the late Lefty Kreh and many of today’s fly tying ambassadors tie on a Renzetti vise.  Of course, not all of them had to pay for them like we do... (smiley goes here)

I tie on an older Regal. It does everything I need.  If I ever had the itch for a rotary, the Peak is hard to beat for the price.

Buy tying materials with the extra $100.

In the last 8 years, I have tied thousands of Saltwater flies.  I use 3 different vises, a Nor-vise, a Dyan-King, and a Regal.  These are listed in order of preference (to me,) age, and price.  They are OLD, which means they have withstood the test of time.  To me a vise should last at minimum 10 years.  My Nor-vies is now 30 years old, the Dyna-King Sidewinder is 20 years or more, and the Regal is about 10 years old.  They all hold hook in the ranges of sizes up to 5/0.  

In the price range you are looking at the Regal is closest.  The currant crop of Regal Medallion vises are about 220 to 320 depending on the jaws and vases you select.  I have done some tying on the Peak vises, and they seem to be another good option as well.  

Forgot to mention... for anyone with a quality vise already- you might want to contact your manufacturer and find out if they offer a set of saltwater jaws for the vise you already have....

Additionally, in all my years of tying (filled my first order for a shop in 1979) I’ve never had a rotary vise at all.  I’m still tying with a relatively simple sturdy vise with very heavy saltwater jaws that I got from Rogue River anglers all those years ago.  They long ago changed their name to Cascade Crest...

I'll ad my two cents,

I personally tie on a Peak with either standard or saltwater jaws.  This vise is more than I will ever need for the rest of my time tying.  That being said I would also take a look at the Jurassic Series that Peak makes.  One other thing about Peak is that the "C" clamp base is by far the strongest I have ever tied with.  

The other manufacturer I would seriously look into is HMH.  Their "Standard" model with magnum jaws would be the cats a$$.  I have tied on a couple of these at shows and was extremely impressed with he fit and finish.  They are super smooth and have the feeling as if they are indestructible.  

Michael

On 1/3/2021 at 9:40 AM, petelangevin said:

This was the peak i was referring to.   

709F0141-1E46-4E59-A986-6BCD901DE42A.png

Here is a youtube review of the vise.  If I tied large saltwater flies this would be my choice.

Thanks to everyone for offering there advice! I decided to go with a peak vise and just cranked out a dozen whacky shrimp and love it! I can see myself buying a renzetti traveler or dyna king later on but for now, love this vise! Tight lines to everyone stay salty 

D1F8AB63-EA43-4BD8-B3C9-77CAAFCFD5A9.jpeg

On 1/1/2021 at 11:21 AM, Bimini15 said:

I tie on an older Regal. It does everything I need.  If I ever had the itch for a rotary, the Peak is hard to beat for the price.

Buy tying materials with the extra $100.

THIS /|\