Fly Tying
SBPatt

January Flies From the Vise

I like the entire tag under the clear tubing!  New concept to me.  I'll be revisiting some of my caddis pupa patterns.  Thanks

2 hours ago, Sandan said:

Beautiful tie @DFoster. That graphic caddis is a true killer pattern.  One of my go to flies when the caddis are out.

Thanks-  this is a new one for me so I haven't fished it yet.  It looked like a good pattern so I decided to copy it.  My tie isn't perfect, i noticed after I took the photo the clear tube is a little wonky on the lower abdomen (the fish won't care).  My current lighting is a little weak when tying in at night and I was having trouble with my hands casting shadows.  I'm getting a new much better desk lamp tomorrow.  I'm glad to hear that it's a fish catcher for you, maybe it will be here in Mass as well?

1 hour ago, Meeshka said:

I tie it too DFoster.  I do however use the smallest black bead I can for the head - I don't know if the fish notice.

There's no added weight to the version I tied per the tyer who posted the pattern on line.  A small bead would certainly help get it down.  Personally I prefer the fly be weighted and not to add split shot If I have a choice.    90% of the water I fish is 3' or less so sometimes and unweighted nymph emerger is a good thing.

1 hour ago, WJG said:

I like the entire tag under the clear tubing!  New concept to me.  I'll be revisiting some of my caddis pupa patterns.  Thanks

It's a great technique but certainly not my idea and not just for tags-  I usually tie with clear tubing because you can blend colors underneath with thread, floss, tinsel, flash.  On this Hairy Worm I used a yellow and green floss under the clear tube.  IMG_4509.thumb.JPG.f94e1ab59df0dd1dfa2f19670d851627.JPG

I used thread under this one and accented the brown with a brown sharpie.

IMG_5776.thumb.JPG.97150bd1e939b897dda054c1b7d7e008.JPG

Clouser-Minnow-1080.jpg

Clouser Minnow

Category - Nymph/Streamer/Baitfish

Hook - Fresh or saltwater style

Thread - White

Eyes/Weight - Lead dumbbell/hourglass eyes, whatever color you like

Belly - White bucktail hairs

Flash - Pearl krystal flash

Back - Chartreuse bucktail hairs

everybody has an opinion on how sparse or thick you're supposed tie this fly but it is entirely up to YOU  finger.jpg

4 hours ago, flytire said:

Clouser-Minnow-1080.jpg

Clouser Minnow

Category - Nymph/Streamer/Baitfish

Hook - Fresh or saltwater style

Thread - White

Eyes/Weight - Lead dumbbell/hourglass eyes, whatever color you like

Belly - White bucktail hairs

Flash - Pearl krystal flash

Back - Chartreuse bucktail hairs

everybody has an opinion on how sparse or thick you're supposed tie this fly but it is entirely up to YOU  finger.jpg

Very nice! I love mine to be on the sparse side, I like most of my streamers on the sparse side for that matter. 

As far as clousers go (note the small "c"....) that's why many of the folks I know consider it as much a style of tying as a specific pattern.  Here's a staple that many saltwater fly shops ordered from me over the years - it's specifically for bonefish and has an "outrigger style" weedguard.  I did these in sizes #6, up to #2 and in many color variations... Brn/wht, pink/wht, chartreuse/wht, brown/orange, etc... 

yFbnefS.jpg

size #4 bonefish clouser

YZxZDUd.jpg

ready to ship - #4s on the left, #6s on the right.... Note how both the wing and the lead eye sizes change with the hook size...

Norm Woods Special (variation)

50862825217_e067e82a25_c.jpg

50862011193_5c1a0b056c_c.jpg

50862011168_15eb149dc4_c.jpg

Struck by the multitude of wing colors while looking at some different takes on this fly; on this one, I tried to approximate the color mentioned by John Kreft in this article. The hackle color is all wrong; searching the Rit formulas for something in more of a golden brown.

hook - TMC 5212 #8
thread - Uni 8/0 camel
rib - x-small wire gold 
abdomen - dubbing goldish tan 
body hackle - brown (undersize by 2) 
wing - calftail dyed dark burnt orange (2 Tsp Rit Sunshine Orange, 1/4 Tsp Rit Tan, 1/4 Tsp Rit Purple/4 cups water)  
thorax - Ice Dub golden brown 
front hackle - brown
wing - calftail white

Regards,
Scott

LEADWING COACHMAN

1575095144_LEADWINGCOACHMAN10.jpg.96c5f7f4fdd26009dbd779162aca2b28.jpg

HOOK: 1X NMPH #10

THREAD: BLACK

TAG:  OOPS, IT WAS LATE AND I FORGOT

BODY: NATURAL PEACOCK HERL

HACKLE: BROWN SADDLE

WING: DUCK QUILL- SLATE

SMALL BLUE WING OLIVE

1396493109_BWO18.jpg.e6c53357f5868eef6e1f89bd455fc274.jpg

HOOK: 1X DRY #18

THREAD: OLIVE 70

TAIL: BARRED WOOD DUCK FIBERS

BODY: OLIVE GOOSE BIOT

HACKLE: BLUE DUN

17 hours ago, DFoster said:

It's a great technique but certainly not my idea and not just for tags-  I usually tie with clear tubing because you can blend colors underneath with thread, floss, tinsel, flash.  On this Hairy Worm I used a yellow and green floss under the clear tube. 

I do use clear and "see thru" coloured tubing for bodies with various materials underneath.  For what ever reason, I had the block in my head about covering a tag.  "If it was tied in as a tag, it should blend into the body"....etc.  

I tie the very same BWO. Sometimes with microfibetts tails.  Here it is only on the cold, wet, and windy days I see them hatching.  PITA fishing them, trying to get a cast into that little protected pocket.

13 minutes ago, WJG said:

I do use clear and "see thru" coloured tubing for bodies with various materials underneath.  For what ever reason, I had the block in my head about covering a tag.  "If it was tied in as a tag, it should blend into the body"....etc.  

I kind of figured you would know about materials under clear-

I tie the very same BWO. Sometimes with microfibetts tails.  Here it is only on the cold, wet, and windy days I see them hatching.  PITA fishing them, trying to get a cast into that little protected pocket.

I kind of figured you would know about materials under clear-  

Hook: GCO #14, wet/nymph

Thread: black, 70D

Tail: Grizzly hen

Body: Peacock & fine silver wire rope, wound sparsely

Legs: Grizzly hen

Wing: Starling primary

Legs tied too long.  

IMG-20210122-091628a.jpg

I too tied a Clouser yesterday

Kona XSS streamer hook size 2:

PHOTO_20210122_073957.jpg

From there I went on to a few Harrop's captive dun.

Hook: Fulling Mill 5050 size 16

Thread: UTC 70 Den. olive

Tail: Wood Duck flank fibers

Shuck: Brown Z-lon

Body: Olive goose biot

Rib: X-sm UTC copper wire

Thorax: Olive superfine

Wing: Med dun CDC oiler puff

PHOTO_20210121_203929.jpg

And since I thought the basic captive dun was, well, too basic I added some legs.

Legs: CDC fibers in a split thread dubbing loop.

PHOTO_20210121_204005.jpg

Nice too se everyone's work, excellent as usual. Also it's good to see some new folks posting too.