Fly Tying
Iroc_Jeff

Homemade Fly Tool Caddies

I tie my flies at my computer so I can watch the video for making new flies easily or just watch Pluto TV or whatever while making stuff. My co-worker cut down some trees on his property and gave me some small cuttings. I turned two of them into this neat little caddy that fits on my desk. 

Anyone else make their own caddies?

20210103_211308.thumb.jpg.9c27dd06746c90bf52968e3641e9bb75.jpg

Not really a tool caddy but I did make my own vise riser.  The desk came with some extra matching trim that I cut to fit around a long rectangle velvet covered piece of wood then mounted the trout pin. The underside has non slip feet at the corners.  I then added a second velvet covered smaller riser.  The velvet is great for keeping fibers, fur and feathers from blowing all over just be careful with head cement and resins.

IMG_1261.thumb.JPG.5b0b629cf70c3972a18556ae1ea7505a.JPGIMG_1262.thumb.JPG.c4fda35499b96aa65212f0bba4562c33.JPG

desk.JPG.da1dae6a8836abe655f04b34bc34dba5.JPG

DF, that is a really nice looking riser. I have been toying with the idea of making a smaller portable desk to hold a vise, bobbin and just  a few tools and material since I do a lot of tying away from my actual world HQ. I will definately be modeling it after your riser.  That actually looks nice enough to where I can leave it on a shelving unit in my formal living room and it will not detract from the decor. Thanks for sharing. 

I always like when threads like this pop up because I'm proud of my portable desk and enjoy sharing it and it's story with others. While I have a fully appointed wood shop with a minor in metal work,  It was not constructed by me but rather my father who was a simple no frills farmer. It is of very crude construction, laughable construction actually, and he and it were the target of many family jokes. When he passed away the desk passed to me and I can't and will never use anything but this. To many great memories of my dad tying flies at this desk and the many jokes tossed his way. I cleaned it up a bit and put a light sealer on it to preserve its crudeness. My favorite part is the orange lumberyard marking paint on the edges that he never bothered to sand off. The Griffin vise on the left was his as well. This also will not ever be replaced. 

desk.jpg

On 1/4/2021 at 8:54 PM, Poopdeck said:

DF, that is a really nice looking riser. I have been toying with the idea of making a smaller portable desk to hold a vise, bobbin and just  a few tools and material since I do a lot of tying away from my actual world HQ. I will definately be modeling it after your riser.  That actually looks nice enough to where I can leave it on a shelving unit in my formal living room and it will not detract from the decor. Thanks for sharing. 

I always like when threads like this pop up because I'm proud of my portable desk and enjoy sharing it and it's story with others. While I have a fully appointed wood shop with a minor in metal work,  It was not constructed by me but rather my father who was a simple no frills farmer. It is of very crude construction, laughable construction actually, and he and it were the target of many family jokes. When he passed away the desk passed to me and I can't and will never use anything but this. To many great memories of my dad tying flies at this desk and the many jokes tossed his way. I cleaned it up a bit and put a light sealer on it to preserve its crudeness. My favorite part is the orange lumberyard marking paint on the edges that he never bothered to sand off. The Griffin vise on the left was his as well. This also will not ever be replaced. 

desk.jpg

I love to hear the history of family heirlooms!  We can buy or make things that are more beautiful and more functional BUT they will just don't have the same power to produce a smile the way using an object with memory patina does.   I'm the first fly fisherman in my family so sadly I don't have a fishing related heirloom.  I do have an old workshop vise and a set of old pliers that belonged to my father though.  They each hold many childhood memories of him teaching me to fix stuff.  I still use both of them often.  I hope my fly fishing stuff will have the same magic for my Grandchildren when I'm gone. 

On 1/4/2021 at 5:54 PM, Poopdeck said:

desk.jpg

That is very cool that you have preserved your Dad's stuff.  I respect that a lot!