Fly Tying
DFoster

Rod Rack Project

2 hours ago, dave said:

Very nice job on the rack.  Trust me-you will eventually fill it!  Neat looking shop area too.  I see you are also into (like me) collecting wooden cigar boxes.  They are great for storing things and the cedar ones are excellent for fly tying materials as they are naturally insect repellant.  One can often pick them up cheap at cigar stores.

Thanks Dave- I love a good cigar once in a while so in my case those boxes were way too expensive to just throw away after the cigars were gone!  Perhaps expensive cigars might have something to do with the reason I haven't filled the rod rack all ready?  Poor Mrs Foster can only take so much of my "passions". 🙄

They do make great storage containers though-

@flytire

Thanks Norm!

I too noticed the stacks of cigar boxes.  More respect to you hearing you also emptied them.  If I may, edge cut plywood is ugly.  Paint the inside of the cut outs on the top and that cabinet will look much better to my eye.  

23 hours ago, WJG said:

I too noticed the stacks of cigar boxes.  More respect to you hearing you also emptied them.  If I may, edge cut plywood is ugly.  Paint the inside of the cut outs on the top and that cabinet will look much better to my eye.  

I definitely agree with you about the edge cut plywood being ugly.  Its hard to see in the final photo but I sanded the inside hole edges smooth with a Dremel and applied a wood stain to "soften" the look.  Unfortunately all the stains I had available on the shelf were a little to light colored for what I wanted.  I'm going to pick up a small can of dark wood stain and redo it.  Hopefully it will take on a faux finish and look more like wood grain than plywood.  I considered painting them but I thought pulling and placing the rod tubes would wear the paint off sooner or later.

I considered painting them but I though pulling and placing the rod tubes would wear the paint off sooner or later.

Then, call that patina.  By the time you are done with using it, you or I won't see the difference. 😎

I disagree with the "edge of plywood is ugly".  Many projects are make with laminated materials, and look great.  Plywood is just laminated materials, so properly finished, it can be beautiful.

Very nice work. Planning to make something similar this weekend, though it won’t look nearly as good, so thanks for the inspiration. 

6 hours ago, dflanagan said:

Very nice work. Planning to make something similar this weekend, though it won’t look nearly as good, so thanks for the inspiration. 

Thank you -This wasn't hard to build but it did take longer than I thought.  I'm sure you can create something as nice just take your time.   

11 hours ago, mikechell said:

I disagree with the "edge of plywood is ugly".  Many projects are make with laminated materials, and look great.  Plywood is just laminated materials, so properly finished, it can be beautiful.

I vote with Mike. There are several ways to hide the edge of plywood. One is to cut the edge at a 45 degree angle and tack or glue the piece so the wood of the cut piece shows and covers the plywood lamination.

11 hours ago, mikechell said:

Plywood is just laminated materials, so properly finished, it can be beautiful.

I've turned many shipping containers into furniture it really dresses up the old General Purpose Medium  😉 all kidding aside some of the high quality plywood without excessive voids finishes well and looks good unfortunately most ply needs edge band or wood faced edges to hide the substandard veneers