Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bimini15

How slow is the mail now, really...?

From comments in another thread... What is a reasonable expectation for regular USPS mailings these days?

I will admit that I have lost track of it in the age of Amazon prime and UPS. But I ordered stuff from Collins before Christmas and I wonder if I need to make a phone call to check that they even received the order and possibly get some tracking info.

I did not worry about it when I ordered from Collins or anyone else in the past, but I gather the mail is not what it used to be.

Seems to be hit or miss.  I placed an order in Iowa that shipped on 12/15, still shows as 'In Transit' to Mass.  I also placed an order on 12/22 in Florida, received it on Christmas Eve.  Go figure! 

Wife sent her mom a box ... took a month to get there.  Her mom sent a box to us ... took three days to get here.

I sent something to Utyer in Florida. Mailed from Minneapolis on 12/29 and he received it today. Not bad and it had a holiday in there. 

I was just about to say that the package arrived today.  Six days two of which were Sunday and a Holliday, is pretty fast.  I did get a few cards that were mailed on the 16th of last month, and that for first class mail was pretty slow.

Poopdeck, sounds like you should have sent them to Florida... 😁

Seriously, though, I would normally expect to get the package any day now. Even with Collins’ mail-in only ordering and the holidays in between, I do not think it was two weeks last time.

Vee vill zee..

i sent a regular envelope to texas from illinois left on dec 21 or 22nd .  still not there.      my mom in ft meyers sent me a card  it took 4 days.

Don't even get me started! lol. Usps has been UNBEARABLE the past 6 weeks. I had over 20 items that were all 3 weeks past the expected delivery date. Tracking is about useless as they don't even bother scanning half the time. Packages just sit at some hubs (Mi, Pa, Nj are the worst) and you will have a package that sits at a hub for 8-10 days without even moving. Then they mis-ship like crazy. I have a blank I ordered from Pa on Dec 10th, it showed it was shipped out of the usps hub in Pa on Dec 12th...and that's it, nothing after that at all and I still don't have it 25 days later. So the place reshipped it on Dec 30th. I checked yesterday...it was shipped out of Pa and is now in FL. FL??? I'm in Michigan. usps is a total mess and they have been for a few years but the past 2 months is just unreal.

I used them for shipping rods for 17 yrs, but they are so bad these days I stopped using them and switched to UPS back in June. Have not had a single rod take longer than 5 days to reach a customer since switching to UPS. Most take only 3 days and the tracking updates every stop along the way.

At this moment, My personal best with the USPS is 6 weeks for a 3 day delivery promise. I totalled the mileage up and divided it by days. The package averaged 13 miles a day. It spent 2 weeks in 2 different distribution centers in the same state. They are inept!!!

Both of my Grandkids Christmas presents didn't get delivered before Christmas and they were ordered the week before Thanksgiving.

They do NOT care. If they charge a price for promised delivery, they should be refunding if the item doesnt make it, BUT..."F" you.....we're the post office

i bought two gift cards on December 16 and they still haven't been delivered but they were happy to take my money!

i called one issuer of the card and was told it would be 7-10 after it was in the mail

"The package averaged 13 miles a day."

The Pony Express and the Wells, Fargo Stagecoach Company did better than that. A bicycle can do 6 mph easily. I rest my case.

16 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

I have a blank I ordered from Pa on Dec 10th, it showed it was shipped out of the usps hub in Pa on Dec 12th...and that's it, nothing after that at all and I still don't have it 25 days later. So the place reshipped it on Dec 30th. I checked yesterday...it was shipped out of Pa and is now in FL. FL??? I'm in Michigan. usps is a total mess and they have been for a few years but the past 2 months is just unreal.

That first blank, it updated last night. It's in Missouri. Frigin' Missouri! So the first package went from Pa to Mo (I'm in Mi) and the replacement package to replace that one went from Pa to Fl.

usps is 100% worthless!

So slow they stopped the tracking    "in transit arriving late" last update Jan 3 expected original delivery 23 Dec  Sat in Pittsburg PA distribution center from 21 Dec until 30 Dec. Herters was faster! but still in transit! just like to good old days 4-6 weeks!