Fly Tying
vicrider

Let's start the Year thinking small fly swap

I was going to join this swap but the print was too small to read! :) 

Hope you all have fun with another great swap hosted by vicrider!

Kim

Now that's funny Kim. One of those that you have to look at twice and would go right over my wife's head.

As I am struggling my way through the second set of flies for this I'm coming to realize my hands just ain't up for these little guys anymore. Mostly getting shaky trying to go really small. I used to tie on 32s and sent several to people when the hooks were available. Now 26s are giving me troubles. After this swap I'm going to work on tying up as many of my 20-32 hooks as I can and give up ordering anything smaller than an 18 anymore. I'll have the little guys if I ever need them but for the most part 14-16 covers most mayfly and caddis.

Ok.  Done.  My new glasses, and my table mounted magnifying lens made it possible.  10/0 was almost too large a thread!  I have met Ed Engle and somehow he remains a decent, friendly guy even though he ties much smaller.  I think I should go back to tying Buggers and Steelhead flies!  My wife objected to my language while I tied these.  She said "I thought fly tying was supposed to be fun."  Seriously, these flies really tried me.

On 1/11/2021 at 10:38 AM, chugbug27 said:

If anyone needs a dozen Mustad 94842's in size 28 for this swap, let me know. First to chime in only.

@chugbug27, not for this swap but.....I'd like a few if you're so inclined.

On the way.  I think Wooly Buggers and Clousers are more in my "Wheel House".  I did learn a few things.  I tied them similar to an RS2

20210118_164719.jpg