Fly Tying
richmce

dropshot fly swap

spinning gear anglers use plastic baits on most of their drop shot rigs. i think we need to make some flies for that purpose as they may last longer and it will give us a challenge.  drop shot flies are tied with the point up [like a clouser ]but no need for weight as a bottom weight or jig brings it down. what is needed is a wider gap hook and a good size eye as the line gets passed thru the fly going down to the sinker. nymphs,minnow ,worms need to be tied upside down on the hook. that could be interesting!  i will be SwapMeister,  i would like ten or 12tyers  with some doing nymphs, worms and minnows even crickets.  size 8 would be the smallest.

due date , all flies in the mail by feb 15th    reply with im in and what type you want to tie.

1                                                                                                              7

2                                                                                                              8

3                                                                                                               9

4                                                                                                               10

5                                                                                                               11

6                                                                                                               12

I will be in if there is decent participation.

Is this anywhere close to the type of fly you are expecting?

BZN80954.thumb.JPG.7ab5833ebb1d095832495e2b3fc52844.JPGBZN80952.thumb.JPG.1e244f2e0af347957e69ada912b7031d.JPGBZN80951.thumb.JPG.fc85b74da7ea3e0c04d9127ee294603b.JPG

i have no idea what drop shot flies are. never heard of them

unfortunately this wouldn't be for me

flies are tied on straight eye hooks  no weight     they are tied  like a clouser hook up.  if one looks up  dropshot rigs  online   you can see how the hook should be with a dropper line going thru the eye to the weight     as for using it on a fly rod . hook point up fly with a palomar knot ,tag end goes thru eye from the top. split shot can be added to the end of line .  

the unusual thing is tying a nymph having a lighter color on the bottom and shellback on top,hook side. a deceiver fly in all white could be used put if a red throat is added its on the nonpoint side.plastic baits for dropshot rigs are driving the fishing market for the last few years . time for us tyers to use flies instead

this??? used to do this trout fishing

drop-shot.jpg

this???

drop-shot-rig-header.jpg

i dont follow the plastic bait crowd so i have no idea of whats out on the market

as i said above, unfortunately this wouldnt be for me

i am going to CANCEL this swap.   i fish with the fly rod and conventional gear and many times they overlap.  i may revisit this again

Sorry Rich.  As you can tell by the comments above, you confuse fly tiers when you "cross-fit" fishing techniques.  Like calling "strike indicators" bobbers, or using "angler worms" with fly fishing.

Sometimes, it's just better to fish quietly off by yourself.  

It seems this is similar to having the weighted fly on the end of the tippet and a dropper with a nymph or similar fly above the weighted fly.