Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
utyer

Annual Desk Cleanup:

One half of my New Year's Resolution is completed.  The cleanup and adjustments to the layout, took me most of 2 days.   Now if I can only keep it this way.  I have new lighting ordered from Amazon which will remove the clutter of all the different small lamps.  Even got a fly tied after I was done with the re-organization.  1301514158_RedDace.thumb.JPG.259b7b125787db577663da975dde7cbf.JPG

Start_of_2021.JPG

That's something I have to do.  Your's is much neater than mine.  This is about as neat my desk gets and right now it's nowhere near there.  I got a couple of more fly to finish up, then I'll straighten it.

P2010356.thumb.JPG.65f6b90c858ede8b0387a587ec6608bd.JPG

Looks good!  I need to figure out how to create a permanent space.  Small house and we are at capacity but I do have an idea on something.  If it comes to life I will post.

Nice setups.

I once thought that I was going to make a standing tying station on top of a drawer chest on rollers. Something like a lingerie chest, but adapted to fly tying. The idea was portability from one room to another and to a corner when not in use.

The problem is that I have accumulated too much crap to fit in any reasonably sized chest that is not going to get me in trouble with Mrs. Bimini.

The moral of the story: sometimes is good to have limited space. And self-control.

1 minute ago, Bimini15 said:

Nice setups.

I once thought that I was going to make a standing tying station on top of a drawer chest on rollers. Something like a lingerie chest, but adapted to fly tying. The idea was portability from one room to another and to a corner when not in use.

The problem is that I have accumulated too much crap to fit in any reasonably sized chest that is not going to get me in trouble with Mrs. Bimini.

The moral of the story: sometimes is good to have limited space. And self-control.

Self-control? When it comes to fly tying materials? That is crazy talk!

Edited by TSMcDougald
Fix typo

Some people may not remember my previous post about my tying area and setup.  While the desk has gone through several revisions over the last few years, the space is still the same.  I am a "Closeted" Fly Tyer.  Started out with a lot less storage, as you can see from the last image.  I have improved the lighting and made the tying desk transportable.

Corner Office.JPG

Corner Cave.JPG

Ready to mess up.JPG

Very neat, utyer.  That top slides out?  Good idea.  

Desk clean-up is on my list for today, but I'm still trying to get caught up on work from last week.  

My messy little corner, storage in bins/shelvesto the rear:

IMG-20210110-133320.jpg

If I cleaned my desk annually I would never be able to find it.  I usually have to do a cleaning every other month or sometimes once a month.  

utyer, I like that set up.  The ability to close the door and then clean up is finished is not lost on me.  Defined edges also help with that materials acquisition syndrome.  It's the power cord under the door that would drive me crazy!  Attic space above to fish a line down the wall?  Can you find power easily from the other side of the back wall?  Would someone in your life like that room painted another colour and give you an excuse to punch a few holes first?  It will disturb your space for a few days but make my life less stressful looking at cool desks. :)