Fly Tying
DFoster

Fly Vise Maintenance Day

My wife is in Disney World with our Grand Children, leaving me all alone 😮 for 4 days with my tying desk.  The quiet has been wonderful, only disturbed when the dog (who now has a love for steak) needs to go outside for a run.  Taking a break from tying, I decided it would be a good time to perform the annual maintenance on my vise.  I gave it a thorough cleaning.  Removing all the particles that have accumulated and as well as the old oil and grease.  Per the manufacture I applied new white lithium grease to the moving parts and a few drops of gun oil to the tension screw thread.  I've been tying on the HMH for a couple of years now and would guess I've done several hundred flies.  I examined the inside of the jaws with a jewelers loop and he show no wear at all beyond the gun blue wearing off which is to be expected. 

Is anyone else doing the same thing?  I would love to see photos.

IMG_E7802.thumb.JPG.1a75314114c7cf2c77c28d06eb38f8ad.JPG

IMG_E7803.thumb.JPG.d02e993a6a18d5b1e56529d3d55a135c.JPG

I occasionally clean and regrease the barrel where the jaw shaft goes as well as the shaft and the collet threads on my Dyna King pro. One drop of gun oil on the tension lever every once in a blue moon. Which reminds me..... 

Just coming back from the last tying hiatus I noticed my Regal creaked when squeezing the lever that opens the jaws. One drop of oil took care of that, the only maintenance I have ever done to it.

I’ve had my Traveler for almost 25 years and the only thing I’ve ever had to do to it is replace the O-ring around the base of the jaws; I keep 2 on the vise stem, just in case.

Regards
Scott

55 minutes ago, SBPatt said:

I’ve had my Traveler for almost 25 years and the only thing I’ve ever had to do to it is replace the O-ring around the base of the jaws; I keep 2 on the vise stem, just in case.

Regards
Scott

I had a Traveler for a long time and it was as reliable as a steel anvil. I'm not a prolific a tyer but after 5 years I never had any issue with that vise. 

1 hour ago, Bimini15 said:

Just coming back from the last tying hiatus I noticed my Regal creaked when squeezing the lever that opens the jaws. One drop of oil took care of that, the only maintenance I have ever done to it.

Bimini check this out-

42 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

Never even thought of it, but it's probably a good idea.

Mark I treat my TRV the same way I would a firearm since it's made out of pretty much the same metals (stainless, brass and tool steel).  I spoke with John Larabee from HMH at the fly fishing show last year, he said once per year take the vise apart and use white lithium grease on the bearings and a few drops of gun oil on the threads.  He also said wipe the exterior of the blued tool steel jaws down with a very thin coat of oil just as you would a revolver.

8 minutes ago, DFoster said:

Bimini check this out

Aaargh...! Too much work! 😄 

Mine is the old Medallion, which is even simpler than that.

No maintenance on my renzetti traveler since 1988

Having my hmh trv since 2019 and with the white grease still on the moving parts, no need to apply more

Its back in the box and doesn’t see much daylight 

if it’s not broke don’t break it

Since it doesn't run at speeds, like an internal combustion engine, I don't spend any time cleaning and lubricating it.   If it shows signs of wear, like Bimini's squeak, then I'll go into it and lube it up.

6 hours ago, DFoster said:

Mark I treat my TRV the same way I would a firearm since it's made out of pretty much the same metals (stainless, brass and tool steel).  I spoke with John Larabee from HMH at the fly fishing show last year, he said once per year take the vise apart and use white lithium grease on the bearings and a few drops of gun oil on the threads.  He also said wipe the exterior of the blued tool steel jaws down with a very thin coat of oil just as you would a revolver.

I'm sure it's a fine thing to do, and certainly wouldn't hurt.

My nor-vise is due a good cleaning.   Other than the bearings mine gets a wipe down with mineral spirits and a thin coat of 3-1 oil.   

15 hours ago, flytire said:

if it’s not broke don’t break it

Wise words.  Who ties fast enough to wear out bearings?  Are you taking your travel vise on the boat with you and tying in the spray?  Maybe then.  I understand the urge to play with your toys and truly appreciate the fit and finish, but I can't see this as an aid to extending working life of a vise.

Mine's beyond  maintenance.  It rotates, the jaws hold flies.  Since this is my second Danvise,  I'll occasionally swap jaws with the first one.

643510679_P2010356(4).thumb.JPG.51bac3e6d81841ac5180c523676ae7f2.JPG

5 hours ago, WJG said:

Wise words.  Who ties fast enough to wear out bearings?  Are you taking your travel vise on the boat with you and tying in the spray?  Maybe then.  I understand the urge to play with your toys and truly appreciate the fit and finish, but I can't see this as an aid to extending working life of a vise.

It took all of 3 minutes to disassemble my "toy", and another 5 minutes to clean, lube and reassemble.  John Larrabee the owner of HMH told me that I should clean and lubricate this vise "at minimum once per year" so that's good enough for me. 

If you don't mind me asking what's the name of the vise you manufacturer ?

3 hours ago, primeflycompany said:

Nope- I don't do any of this lol. Place hook in vise, tie fly, whip finish- REPEAT. 

That's how it works, until it doesn't.