Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SalarMan

The "Torrish"

Well I finally finished the Torrish I've been working on. I never tied this pattern before and when I spotted it in Mike R's book of patterns I couldn't resist giving it a go.

I am reasonably satisfied with it even though the wing sits a little lower than I might have preferred. The fly is still in need of some final preening, but as usual I just post something the way it came out rather than fussing and fooling around with it ad nauseum.

Feel free to speak up folks!!

Cheers,
George

311539265_DSC_0005(2).thumb.JPG.b28aa1dd8a198a9d88b5322d49c9195e.JPG

@SalarMan, That's a real beauty. I see just what you mean about the overall almond shape of the fly. Truly inspiring. Question it looks from the picture that the horns cross, do they?

29 minutes ago, Sandan said:

@SalarMan, That's a real beauty. I see just what you mean about the overall almond shape of the fly. Truly inspiring. Question it looks from the picture that the horns cross, do they?

Hey Michael,

Thanks for the kind words...much appreciated

Yes the horns do cross. I tie them that way because it suits my eye and is the look I prefer as opposed to the style where they curl side by side high over the top of the wing. Just one of those personal things that we all do with our flies.

Looks like I'll be taking an unplanned hiatus from tying. Yesterday when Linda and I were preparing dinner I sliced the end of my left thumb pretty good. The joys of liking to cook and always making sure my knives are SHARP!!🔪🔪

Cheers,
George

Damn, that truly sucks. And it's said sharp knives are safer than dull ones. I love to cook also. Stitches? Heal up fast!!!

No stitches thank goodness. Just not paying attention resulted in a bit of a gash on the tip of the thumb.

As a retired sheet metal worker I can assure you this is no big deal - HA HA HA !!

14 minutes ago, SalarMan said:

No stitches thank goodness. Just not paying attention resulted in a bit of a gash on the tip of the thumb.

As a retired sheet metal worker I can assure you this is no big deal - HA HA HA !!

No stitches, no worries, right?

1 hour ago, Sandan said:

No stitches, no worries, right?

You got it. I've had more than a few stitches from my sheet metal days, so after a while you tend to ignore little events like yesterday - LOL

+1. Don't sweat the small stuff, except when working on those classic style salmon flies.😎

Another something to remember. When something isn't right, remove it and do it again, and again if need be. Case in point...the Torrish I posted to start this thread sort of left me a little cold. As I looked over the fly a few times I decided it was the wing. It was too straight...no character. So...I removed everything back to the underwing which was exactly what I wanted and put another main wing in. The photo here shows the shape I wanted for this fly. It still needs a bit of preening, but it seems they always do😁

Enjoy the update.

1237021578_DSC_0002(2).thumb.JPG.05c1f022e326699fa83f0cbfcbdd2a28.JPG

@SalarMan The search for perfection or at least personal satisfaction is never ending. The change in wing shape is subtle indeed. That wing looks great. Thanks for posting it.