Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BKJones

AK Vise

Although I've never used an AK Vise, every time I look at one in photos, it just seems like the answere to the hook-holding problems I experience when tying smaller flies; size 12 and smaller. I know that it is out of production, so I was wondering if anyone may have, or know of one for sale?

If I'm not mistaken, AK sold the company to McKenzie. And I believe McKenzie continued manufacturing the vise until a few years ago. The vise is advertised in my Winter 1996 issue of Fly Tyer for $279.95 and Summer 1997 for $309.95. They now go for well over $350 on ebay.

BKJones:

Before you go an spend some money on a vise, try before you buy. I am not saying that the vise you are inquiring about is not good, I am just telling you that dropping a nice chunk a change on something that you may not like or have the same issue. For the last price of the vise provided that you were questioning about, you could buy a Renzetti or a DynaKing or a Regal that all hold hooks wonderfully. I am strongly urging you to go and try the vises before you buy them. Sure they may look like eye candy, but picture to the real thing can be and are deceiving at times. I did and have looked and played with vises before I bought mine. It was the best little thing I ever done. The vise that now sits on my bench in the shop is used daily and never really thought of other than tying flies. A good vise does make a differance. There are a lot of good vises on the market and a lot of bad vises too. It all boils down to what you want and feel comfterable with and most important your budget. All I will say that my vise is like a set it and forget it. That's how a vise on any ones bench should feel like. The brands I provided you with are very good. It come down to try before you buy and the brands are like Ford vs Chevy and so on. Hope this helps a little. If you would like me to go into this in further detail, please ask and I will be glad to provide you with my checklist on what I look for when buying a vise.

Andy B

Andy B.

Thanks very much for sharing your experience with me. I've been using a Dyna-King Barracuda for sever years, and I agree, it is an excellent vise. But, for me, it's strengths have been with larger hook sizes, the smaller sizes have been a problem for me. The midge jaws help, but the smooth clamping surfaces of the jaws allows the hook to slip, especially when struggling with that last whip-finish on a small parachute. If the midge jaws were serrated, it would probably be the answer. The other feature of the AK Vise that attracts me is that you can position the vise such that you can easily get your hand behind the fly, but the Dyna-King is not bad either.

Brian

Brian,

I agree with you on the Dyna King. My second vise was a Dyna King Barraccuda and I also feel that the jaws are best suited for larger flies- definitely not the best for trout fly tying. I thought about getting the midge jaws but I opted to get another vise instead.

My first 2 fly tying books are by A.K. Best and for some reason, I also wanted to have the vise and reel that he used. I got the reel but not the vise. I wantched AK tie during the San Rafael Show last month and I saw how he used the vise.

The AK Vise will accomodate the smallest hooks, but if you'll use a size 4 and larger, you'll have to invert the jaws to have a larger surface contact with the hook. Otherwise, the hook won't be stable enough for tying. I didn't like that idea and so I've decided to get an Abel Supreme instead. So far, I'm quite satisfied with my purchase.

Brian,

If you really want an AK Vise, keep checking on Ebay. Late last year, an AK Vise was listed with a buy-it-now for $100.