Fly Tying
Maction17

What's happening to me?

You're OK. I admit to being a workaholic to the point of never having a proper vacation in my adult life. No extended or overnight fishing trips or traveling for pleasure. My wife goes on vacations with my daughter and her friends and that ticks her off. However, I've been working from home since last April due the pandemic and I've managed to goof off a lot on company time (just like now). It's an easy groove to fall into. In fact I think that if I'm ever called back to the office, I'll continue to goof off!

Happens to everyone,  flash forward 30 years and you have enough materials to fill a semi trailer.   Its ok,  my name is Pete and i am an.......   lol

10 hours ago, petelangevin said:

Happens to everyone,  flash forward 30 years and you have enough materials to fill a semi trailer.   Its ok,  my name is Pete and i am an.......   lol

You beat me with that.  DON'T but materials just because they "look good".  I learned to shop for specific flies and keep ALL the materials in a pouch or zip-lock baggie for that specific pattern.  Except threads and hooks.  Before doing this I had accumulated six .50 Cal ammo cans, two cat litter lidded pails, and two suitcases full of odd material I may never use.  I still have two backpacks and two tackle boxes (one to hold multiple 3700 Plano boxes) of the "currently useful" materials that I keep in a hall closet.  I set up like a gypsy on a folding table to tie.

Someday my ideal is a desk just for fly tying.

9jNiIig.jpg

I find myself dinking around tying around 1:00-2:00 in the morning when everyone is sleeping....

4 hours ago, Chisum said:

I find myself dinking around tying around 1:00-2:00 in the morning when everyone is sleeping....

NOT EVERYONE!  Of course I have the advantage of being retired! 😉

Kim

On 1/25/2021 at 5:59 AM, WWKimba said:

NOT EVERYONE!  Of course I have the advantage of being retired! 😉

Kim

Should have clarified, in my house

Cheers

On 1/22/2021 at 6:48 PM, Charlie P. (NY) said:

You beat me with that.  DON'T but materials just because they "look good".....

@Charlie P. (NY), I'm not sure if that's heresy or blasphemy or a combination of both.😉

Just a quick update here. I've been offline for a few days because-- BOOM-- baby #3 has arrived. My two daughters have a healthy baby brother. My wonderful wife is recovering/sleeping, and I'm on the convertible cot in the post-delivery room.

And yeah, I'm staring at the blinds in front of the hospital  window wondering if anyone would miss the chain pull because, well...bead chain eyes...

35 minutes ago, Maction17 said:

And yeah, I'm staring at the blinds in front of the hospital  window wondering if anyone would miss the chain pull because, well...bead chain eyes...

Nobody would miss a small section. Believe me...

Congratulations!

Maction congratulations!

One question, did you bring your vise with you.  You'll find the bead chain MUCH easier to smuggle out if they are camouflaged as flies!

Kim

12 hours ago, Maction17 said:

Just a quick update here. I've been offline for a few days because-- BOOM-- baby #3 has arrived. My two daughters have a healthy baby brother. My wonderful wife is recovering/sleeping, and I'm on the convertible cot in the post-delivery room.

Congratulations! Grab a pair of flesh toned latex gloves on the way out, they make great nymph bodies!

Congrats,  you are going to find yourself looking at everything as a potentially useful fly tying material or tool.  You will never know where inspiration will hit you.    Best of luck with your new little one and your tying as a whole.    

First off,congratulations on the newborn!  My mother, who raised 9, always said those early years were a ton of work, but were the most enjoyable.  It took me a few years to realize she was right (again).  Enjoy the new guy.  Have you picked put his first fly rod outfit yet?

Secondly, you picked a great addiction.  There's a reason fly fishing and tying is used as therapy.  

But frankly, I don't think you're truly addicted until your daughters yell 'No Dad' as you start to break when you're passing fresh roadkill.