Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Stu Thompson

How Many of you fish for these?

Not for them, but have caught many over the years fishing for other species. Most grabbed a fly while I was fishing for bass, and most were Channel cats. I recall hooking a few Bullheads too, but not Blue cats. Those I've hooked on lures a few times. 

They can put a bend in a light weight rod and really get your heart pumping. I hooked a big Channel cat one time in PA, fishing the Susquehanna River for SM bass. I would say it was over 5 lbs, and I was only a little disappointed it wasn't a bass. On a 6 wt, it was a good battle! 😊

Same. I don't fish for them but catch channel cats while bass fishing the river. Most are 2 to 3 lbs but have caught them up to 13 lbs. Sorry no pictures. Not because they are catfish but because I generally can't be bothered with taking pictures of fish. They are fun to catch on a fly rod that's for sure. 

Bullheads but never been lucky enough to fish for their bigger cousins.

Kim

Cats on trotline, and on pole/line/live bait; never a cat on a fly and I fish streams full of them for bass. Have taken bullheads on fly, on purpose and accidentally.

I have caught plenty, but they were all "by catches."  I have not targeted cats with a fly rod.  

11 hours ago, utyer said:

I have caught plenty, but they were all "by catches."  I have not targeted cats with a fly rod.  

Just for the fun of it, next time I go to the river I'm going to say I'm targeting catfish so I can call the bass and walleye I catch by catches.  

Most of the time I will use streamers, DDH Leeches, Clouser Minnow, or any other that represents baitfish. I have also used caddis emergers, mayfly nymphs, and traditional wets but overall any streamer will put Cats on your line.

Caught a bunch on clousers fishing a nuke cooling lake.Started out fishing for smallies in the chunk rock.After 4 or 5 channel cts i targeted them for a while.Must have caught a dozen,Caught some bullheads last spring and after the first couple i kept going,Catfish are fun and big cats are more funner.

When I was a small boy we fly fished for bull heads in our local waters using a Mcginty pattern wet fly.  But like others here, I no longer fish for them specifically but not infrequently I do catch them while fishing for .other species.

mcgintyfly.jpg

My only Cat on the fly (small Blue, I believe) came as bycatch while fly fishing for crappie last spring.  It was only 12-14" long, but put a heck of a bend in my 3wt.

Hoping to target channels at some point this summer.