Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JamieDunning

Woodcock tail feathers

Hello all, 

I'm not a fisherman, but I am interested in the history of fishing flys - particularly the choice of feathers.

I wonder if anybody could point me in the direction of any flys, old or new, which use Woodcock tail feathers specifically. If there are any nice references or recipes I could look at I'd be very interested in doing so. Likewise, name of recipes I could do some research into too. 

Thanks, looking forward to hearing back

Jamie 

I know of patterns using wing feathers and body (soft hackle) feathers but know of none using tail feathers.  Sorry.

If a gun was put to my head I would guess they could be used as a tail substitute material (most species being made up of browns, grays and blacks) - those feathers are so short and few that I can't think of any other use right now.

Kim

I think you could use them to tail nymphs in the place of pheasant tail fibers. You could also use them for wing cases on nymphs. If the nymph were a small enough size like an i6, you could tied the entire nymph just like a PT nymph.

Check the Flymph forum.  I know they use woodcock for hackles.  They also have a "winged wets" section.  Good luck.