Fly Tying
Bimini15

Thick UV Resin, indispensable?

Of the UV resins, when I use them, I pretty much use the thin formula. I am curious to see what applications you make of the thick formula that would make it indispensable on your bench, if it is at all.

thanks

I also primarily use thin. My bottle of thick is several years old and mostly full. I do use it to build up heads or attach heads to flies. 

Totally dispensable at my bench. I rarely use any but I only have thick and I use it for any and all applications when I use it. 

Jelly-Bean-Scud-1080.jpg

thick helped to make this scud but can be made by layering other viscosities

my go to resin is solarez bone dry

Nice effect on that scud.

And those exactly are some of my points. So, I am thinking about buying larger quantities of the thin only, unless you guys can show me there is a “must-have-thick” application I am not thinking off.

By the way, for big streamer heads, I have been using mostly Liquid Fusion. I use the UV only to hold the initial shape just around the eye of the hook.

I use both thick and thin.  Thin for head and anchoring hair/bucktail/squirrel tail so the hairs don't slip under the tying thread.  Used thick for 3D effect eyes on feathers and waxed paper.  First paint with white, then black pupil (make sure each is thoroughly dry) then hit with a bead of thick UV and then hit quickly with the light to set - otherwise the paint/nail polish may still run.

Kim

Saltwater flies that were once constructed using 5 minute epoxy are good candidates for the thick resin. These include but are not limited to Mikkelson’s epoxy baitfish series, Bob Pop’s surf candies, his ultra shrimp and sand eels.  Bob (a pioneer in both epoxy and acrylics) and most progressive tyers have advanced to the acrylics.  I’m still living in an epoxy world for these patterns.  I equate the thin resin as a modern replacement for the two ton or 30 minute epoxy for thinner coats and where a rotisserie motor was required for curing.  YMMV.

I use the thick UV resin, mainly for heads on my streamer and bait fish patterns.

1956403646_P6010598(4).thumb.JPG.93e8320f9e69fded591381584589dbfb.JPG

I've taken to using the Flex UV resin for most of my foam flies 

I use the thin UV resin for some of my smaller foam patterns to hold eyes on and to waterproof them.

Speaking of thick the body on this fly is built up out of UV wader repair. 

I sort of missed the Popovic’s craze when I decided that the wheel was a hassle, the epoxy did yellow and that working silicone required that photo liquid, whatever that was.

But I have appreciated his creativity a lot more now that we have UV glues.