Fly Tying
SBPatt

February Flies From the Vise

6 minutes ago, niveker said:

Very nice, DF, classic I would say.  You really have those wings down pretty well.  

I like this, Sandan.  I'm pretty sure I have seen it done with hackled dries before, but not with a comparadun.  I can't remember from where.  I'll look through my notes and  bookmarks later tonight.  I can see Chug's point, though I don't know if the soft hackle will be enough to sink them.  I fish soft hackles on the surface often enough.  Also, I think it's Charlie Craven who leaves the butt end of the deer hair exposed on comparaduns to provide more of a thorax and some additional flotation.  Could try that if they don't float high enough.  

@Scarface Z - wowza, those are really nice c-dads.  Mind never look that good, but I'm kinda lazy when it comes to tying them: lead wire, chenille body, soft hackle wrapped for legs, and 2 cock pheasant neck feathers for claws.    

@niveker, I got he idea from dries w/ a soft hackle, jinglers I think they're called. I guess I could call it jingled comparadun. Any additional info you come up with would be greatly appreciated.  I'm not sure if the soft hackle would be a sinker, I could grease the whole thing I guess. And yep Charlie Craven leaves a bit of the butts, I clipped mine a bit too closely. hanks for the feedback.

As to the rest of your post agreed 110%

1 hour ago, DFoster said:

Nicely done!   What is the size range?

Let's see...smallest is size 8 4x long (tmc9395), and the largest is size 4 6x long (tmc300). 

Bergman’s. “Will’s Spinner”

Hook.        ..........  Mustad 94842.              Sz 14

Thread.     ..........  Utc 70.   Yellow

Tail.           ..........  Black rooster hackle

Body.        ..........   Turkey dyed yellow

Wing.        ..........    Wood duck flank

Hackle.     .........     Whiting Rooster cape cream

214E4F1D-DBC6-4203-AFA2-08BC941E8D47.jpeg

Mayer’s mini leech (variant?) pretty sure

3EAECB63-49DF-4AB9-AD88-ADCFB2864E7F.thumb.jpeg.ce0fbd25cf3e2f1e7e687bd0ee73f3ea.jpeg

hook - fire hole 609 #12

body wrap - utc brown Holo tinsel med.

pine squirrel zonker brown

black ostrich plumule   

thread - uni 8/0 black 

anyone have a source for ostrich with longer barbules? 

Bobwhite & Yellow

IMG-20210208-224335.jpg

Hook: #14

Thread: Pearsall's Yellow

Thorax: Brown dubbing

Hackle: Bobwhite

SHHAN

Nomad’s Ausable Skunk

50925441386_fb600147c9_c.jpg

50925441436_bb76cb8556_c.jpg

50924753768_9ceb994111_c.jpg

Updated version of a vintage Michigan pattern; here’s their  video if you’re interested.

hook - Dai Riki 300 #8
thread - Veevus 8/0 black
tail - Congo Hair white
body - Ice Dub black
wing - deer hair 
legs - medium rubber white 
hackle - brown

Regards,
Scott

20 hours ago, Moshup said:

Very nice tying DFoster. Flies tied on a snowy day have extra mojo ! The Mershon is especially nice.

16 hours ago, DarrellP said:

You guys are killing the winged wet flies.  I am impressed. 

16 hours ago, niveker said:

Very nice, DF, classic I would say.  You really have those wings down pretty well.  

17 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

Wow @DFoster, terrific winged wets there! 

I like the concept, a lot, but I'm not sure it'll float. They already are challenged floaters. Maybe a sparse loop of cdc barbs starting behind and ending in front of the deer hair wing? My tying stuff is undergoing reconstructive surgery at the moment or I'd try it myself and post.

@Scarface Z -

@chugbug27

16 hours ago, Sandan said:

@chugbug27 Hmmm, I like it too. I'll chuck that one into a bowl of water and see what happens. I'll let you know. I like your CDC idea also. I'll give that a try too. I hope your tying stuff recovers swiftly and is in even better shape than prior to surgery.

And yes @DFoster some beauty wets.

Thank You everyone.  All the member flies posted here lately have been really well done and covering so many the various disciplines in the art.  I really enjoy seeing each of them so please keep posting!  For me as a New England trout angler I love tying and fishing the classic English and Catskill flies.  What works in the British Isles generally works in my back yard and surprisingly a lot of the favorite Western US trout flies don't produce for me.   Every winter I make the effort to learn a little more about how to tie them correctly.  The winged wets for me have proven the most challenging.  The latest ones are not perfect but I can see improvement over previous years ties.  I fish with everything I tie and as we all know winged wets don't survive beyond a fish or two. That's OK because for some reason I get more of a kick out of catching a trout on a winged wet than a nymph?  The good news is there's always room in the "Bergman" box to tie more! 

22 hours ago, Sandan said:

@chugbug27 Hmmm, I like it too. I'll chuck that one into a bowl of water and see what happens. I'll let you know. I like your CDC idea also. I'll give that a try too. I hope your tying stuff recovers swiftly and is in even better shape than prior to surgery.

And yes @DFoster some beauty wets.

I am a big believer in the concept- mostly incorporating CDC

IMG_0561(Edited).jpg

CAC2085A-3CF6-46F3-B01D-0A1A6A2C657F.jpg

C9B2BB84-AA89-4B7F-AD23-291A8B9EC369.jpg

IMG_0573(Edited).jpg

1 hour ago, billj60 said:

I am a big believer in the concept- mostly incorporating CDC

Very nice flies billj60, is that soft hackle quail or partridge?

Homebound with a light snow falling. No better mood for tying.

Hook. .....Partridge Dry fly supreme UE. Sz 10. ***It looks big in the vise** lol
Thread. .....Utc 70. Tan
Tail. .....Three wood duck flank fibres
Body. ..... SLF blend
Ribbing. .....Gold wire sm. **The gold wire ribbing came out quite nice but my poor quality camera makes it almost invisible. Too bad
Thorax. ..... slightly darker slf blend. I would next time try for a sharper contrast in colors.
Hackle. .... Golden plover

0B97F87B-AEDD-4FE0-92F1-02D8215A9E73.jpeg

Woven golden olive stone. Size 10 curved shank 3x long.

20210131_003057.jpg

You all are killing the ties and the month is still kinda young. 

Here's another comparadun with legs. I used CDC for the legs this time. I'm liking it. 

PHOTO_20210209_173055.jpg