Fly Tying
SBPatt

February Flies From the Vise

8 hours ago, SBPatt said:

I don’t mind the amount of hackle but if I’m going to take the time to wind that much on, I’d add a rib for a little protection (I was tying this one true-to-pattern so omitted it here); otherwise the back end could come apart after a fish or two.  Give me a Carnage any day

48007453626_65e8dfb509_c.jpg

Easier, quicker to tie, floats all day and no chickens are harmed in the process.

Regards,
Scott

As I've seen your patterns I keep thinking of Chick-fil-a and there slogan "Eat mor chiken!".  I guess yours is "Eat mor venasun!"! :) 

Kim

The Cocky Variant from Family Circles Guide to Trout Flies Circa 1954.

Hook. Allcocks S220 model perfect size 14 1x fine.

Silk. Pearsalls gossamer Brown.

Wing. Mallard short.

Tail. Cochy bondu.

Body. Gold metal tinsel.

Hackle. Cochy bondu oversize.

P_20210211_135913.jpg

Oholi’s Never-sinking Caddis

50933534961_10bd3fc2c5_c.jpg

50933535006_bcdf51093b_c.jpg

50933657407_5a1b33d7ee_c.jpg

A Hedgehog winged with snowshoe hare’s foot; here’s the  video if you’re interested. Tied here as a Mother’s Day caddis.

hook - WFC Model 3 #12
thread - Danville 6/0 olive
tag - Danville flat wax chartreuse/resin
body/collar - hare’s ear dyed olive/Starburst olive
wing(s) - snowshoe hare’s foot
hackle - partridge

Regards,
Scott

4 hours ago, DFoster said:

I love these style flies- Nice Job!

Boy that’s a beautifully tied fly !!!  ♥️

13 hours ago, SBPatt said:

I don’t mind the amount of hackle but if I’m going to take the time to wind that much on, I’d add a rib for a little protection (I was tying this one true-to-pattern so omitted it here); otherwise the back end could come apart after a fish or two.  Give me a Carnage any day

48007453626_65e8dfb509_c.jpg

Easier, quicker to tie, floats all day and no chickens are harmed in the process.

Regards,
Scott

Love the sooty orange color. The chickens thank you. The ungulates, not so much. 

Egg sucking WB tube fly 

For use with size 6 to 2 stinger hook

Pro flex tube

Tail: purple marabou 

Body: purple crystal chenille 

Hackle:  purple Chinese saddle hackle

Bead: pro tube orange painted bead 

20210212_051724.jpg

2 hours ago, Sandan said:

Some hatching midges from last night's too much Bourbon and not enough Bugs. 22s.

PHOTO_20210211_222838.jpg

One question.  Were those recycled hooks?  Were the flies required to jump through the hole in the razor blade?  Or was it when you couldn't put them through that hole you realized the "too much Bourbon" part?  (Asking for 3 friends!)

Kim :) 

27 minutes ago, WWKimba said:

One question.  Were those recycled hooks?  Were the flies required to jump through the hole in the razor blade?  Or was it when you couldn't put them through that hole you realized the "too much Bourbon" part?  (Asking for 3 friends!)

Kim :) 

You're lucky you have 3 friends 😉. 1: no, new hooks, though not each one was finished the first attempt. 2: They did seem to jump around. 3: When I found I had to put them through the cut-outs on the side of the blade and they wouldn't go that might have been my first indication of too much bourbon. Actually thinking about it that was my second indication. The first was when I had to re-tie a few of those due to ham handed, fat fingered tying.

2 hours ago, Sandan said:

Some hatching midges from last night's too much Bourbon and not enough Bugs. 22s.

PHOTO_20210211_222838.jpg

4 minutes ago, Sandan said:

You're lucky you have 3 friends 😉. 1: no, new hooks, though not each one was finished the first attempt. 2: They did seem to jump around. 3: When I found I had to put them through the cut-outs on the side of the blade and they wouldn't go that might have been my first indication of too much bourbon. Actually thinking about it that was my second indication. The first was when I had to re-tie a few of those due to ham handed, fat fingered tying.

Bourbon always taste better on cold winter nights, you got to enjoy them while they last! 

First, I NEVER said ANYTHING bad about the Bourbon!  I don't like dodging lightning strikes!!

Second, to be honest two of those friends were ME and MYSELF!  My memory is going so I can't remember the third!! :) 

Kim