Jump to content
Fly Tying
SBPatt

February Flies From the Vise

Recommended Posts

bluegill-bully-spider-1080.jpg

Bully’s Bluegill Spider Originated by Terry  Wilson

Hook - Mustad S80-3906, S82-3906B or equivalent, size 8-12

Thread - Black or color to match the body.

Underbody - .020 lead/non lead wire

Body - Medium chenille

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bloody Alder

50901601102_e439f15ba7_c.jpg

50900774493_dcbe8c84fd_c.jpg

50900774453_7fd13e19c1_c.jpg

Variation on the vintage Alder Fly; the original Alder was included in Dame Julianna Berner’s A Treatyse of Fysshynge Wyth an Angle, published in 1496 (Gutenberg?), so it’s got some good roots. Here’s the video if you’re interested.

hook - Dai Riki 075 #10
thread - Danville 6/0 red 
tag - tying thread/resin
rib - small wire red
body - peacock herl
hackle - hen furnace
wing/pad - pheasant tail

Regards,
Scott

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stanley’s Grizzly (variation)

50902970027_a9147f3755_c.jpg

50902143678_b11899b799_c.jpg

50902852226_b6b90a22ae_c.jpg

Another Appalachian pattern, this one from N.C. tier Stanley Tuttle.  Original called for a tail of grizzly bear hair, or mix of tan/black calftail; subbed woodchuck in honor of Phil, this being his day.  Here’s the video if you’re interested.

hook - Dai Riki 730 #8
thread - Danville 6/0 black
tail - woodchuck
rib - small wire copper
body - dubbing cream
wing/pad - grizzly hackle tips (2, tied flat, concave-to-concave)
hackle - hen black

Regards,
Scott

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, flytire said:

bluegill-bully-spider-1080.jpg

Bully’s Bluegill Spider Originated by Terry  Wilson

Hook - Mustad S80-3906, S82-3906B or equivalent, size 8-12

Thread - Black or color to match the body.

Underbody - .020 lead/non lead wire

Body - Medium chenille

Yours look better than my attempts   Nice work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A batch of bead head woolly buggers waiting for spring. 
all size 4. Mustad r73-9671 2xh/3xl18D2B642-2CA6-40A0-865E-9D7042508F81.thumb.jpeg.e0a4e11818b8438639fc5f835c75204a.jpeg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, flytire said:

bluegill-bully-spider-1080.jpg

Bully’s Bluegill Spider Originated by Terry  Wilson

Hook - Mustad S80-3906, S82-3906B or equivalent, size 8-12

Thread - Black or color to match the body.

Underbody - .020 lead/non lead wire

Body - Medium chenille

Try black with orange legs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SBPatt said:

Stanley’s Grizzly (variation)

50902970027_a9147f3755_c.jpg

50902143678_b11899b799_c.jpg

50902852226_b6b90a22ae_c.jpg

Another Appalachian pattern, this one from N.C. tier Stanley Tuttle.  Original called for a tail of grizzly bear hair, or mix of tan/black calftail; subbed woodchuck in honor of Phil, this being his day.  Here’s the video if you’re interested.

hook - Dai Riki 730 #8
thread - Danville 6/0 black
tail - woodchuck
rib - small wire copper
body - dubbing cream
wing/pad - grizzly hackle tips (2, tied flat, concave-to-concave)
hackle - hen black

Regards,
Scott

I will need to steal this to try on smallies , maybe add a little orange into the cream dubbing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rene Harrop's Short Wing Emerger in Hendrickson 

1532657026_ReneHarropsShortWingEmerger.jpg.f439aa479b35be4cee45c1bd1fa4a50d.jpg

 

Materials:

Hook: TMC 100 SP-BL

Thread: UNI thread 8/0 in Camel

Tail: Lemon wood duck

Abdomen: Harrop's Professional Dry Fly Dubbing in Hendrickson

Ribbing: Gold wire

Wing: Mallard quill

Legs: Partridge

Thorax: Harrop's Professional Dry Fly Dubbing in Hendrickson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Brian Myers said:

Try black with orange legs 

any color combination will work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bluegill-Spiders-1080.jpg
 

Foam Spiders
 
Hook - Dry fly
Thread - Any color
Tail & Legs - Rubber legs
Body - Foam strip
 
Tie these in your favorite color combination. Panfish dont care

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, flytire said:

Bluegill-Spiders-1080.jpg
 

Foam Spiders
 
Hook - Dry fly
Thread - Any color
Tail & Legs - Rubber legs
Body - Foam strip
 
Tie these in your favorite color combination. Panfish dont care

Flytyer, what kind of foam did you use for the orange, yellow, and white spiders/ Just curious. They're really nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the spiders on the left is craft store foam

the other 3 are either open or closed cell fly shop bought foam. i dont remember

use what you have

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lefty's Deceiver

716069547_DeceiverFly.thumb.jpg.009fef8606b5b72f817673f9aa18a45e.jpg

Gamakatsu B20S Stinger (1/0), 140 Denier thread, Hackle & Flashabou tail, Chartreuse over White Bucktail body with red flash throat.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...