Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MuskyFlyGuy

Mike, how is your weather?

We've been in a pretty deep freeze here in Mi for the past week. I know it's nothing like Mark is use to up there, but we haven't seen the other side of 20 in a week. And down close just above 0 at night. That's for sure colder than I like. Did some shoveling the other day when it was 15f and wind blowing about 20mph and felt like I was ready to slit open a tauntaun 😁

I had to wear a long sleeve shirt to work today.  🙁  I can hardly wait for this winter to end !!!    😄

I've got a week of mornings (work schedule) so I'll be getting home around 3:30 each day.  Spent today after work finishing my first pallet wood board.  Details will be on my "shop" thread.

in northern illinois  its been  real coldall week and this week too.  minus or single digit at night. i will embrace it only because we have 10 5 x5 ft fish cribs made over the last two years  they wernt able to be placed due to unsafe ice.   shabbona lake had 7 inches last weekend and we need a minimum of 12 inches  to have the tractor place them.  once they are placed spring can start right away.  things are looking good now for that

When the Polar Vortex is bringing two nights in a row down into Oklahoma with below zero temps that's ridiculous. About 5 years ago I saw a minus on our gauge. Now they're predicting -8 and -10 over the weekend with10-18" of snow in our area. This will paralyze us for a week if it happens and there will many many broken pipes. Our house when rebuilt had no insulation in the walls and not much more than dust in the ceiling. That's the way most of the older house are in this area. In MN the average county has more snowplows to send out than the entire state has here. Lakes are already frozen over and this cold moving in will make them good enough to drive on until someone goes through. Didn't think I'd ever wish I had my ice fishing gear and house and heater when I moved here. This will be record cold, record snow, record # of days below freezing if it all pans out like predictions. Would take some awful good reasons for me to leave house for next several days and I sure can't think of any.

If you take a look - almost all of Canada is suffering from extreme cold temps - minus 25 - 30C for highs plus wind chill for 2 weeks now.  And that weather has to go somewhere.  On the bright side by Tuesday the temps are supposed to be near -4C so it souinds like it is coming to an end

It was in the 80s yesterday.  Supposed to be warm all week.  That's the good news.  Bad news is that it's also supposed to rain ... a lot.  While I don't mind the rain, it might put a big crimp in the plans for getting my driveway to the workshop done.

More good news/bad news.  Good news is, I can work in the shop even if it's raining!  Bad news is, this coming week, I'm scheduled to work 14 hour days.  Gonna suck.  But it's only one week.

-6 degrees F right now with colder night temps to come in the next few days. 

Not even going to try my sinking line on the ice, probably to thick.

Rick 

It's starting to get ridiculous here. I'm use to cold weather in the winter in Michigan, but it hasn't been above 25f for 10 days now, not supposed to see above 25 for another week, and down into single digits every night. Got about 7" of snow now and supposed to get another 6" by Monday. Thank goodness I brought the snow blower in and fixed it the other day. I always look fwd to spring, but I think this year I'm looking fwd to it even more than normal. Seems the older I get the more I feel the cold. Now I see why Mike moved to Fl. If I feel the cold like this at 50 I can just imagine how bad a guy like him in his 80's feels it 😁

I only feel "80" when it's cold outside.  BUT ... avoiding the cold weather isn't the only reason to love it down here.

I'll be 62 this year.  Never thought I'd live this long when I was younger.  Now all I want is more time.  Being down here, in this weather, is like getting two years worth of activity every year.  No winter idle time!

I know how to act in ice storms, stay home and off the road. There's no driving in a true ice storm, not a sleet or hail storm but A real honest to goodness ice storm where super cold rain stays wet until freezing when it hits the ground. That looks like snow or sleet and not a real ice storm. I  don't care where your from there simply is no driving on ice no matter how many drive wheels you got. Sleet offers plenty of traction but ice, forget it. 

My first full day back from Connecticut.  I had to mow grass.  Waited until it warmed up a bit.  Put on some thick socks, winter shorts and a heavy sleeveless T-shirt so I could mow.  Got the whole yard done without breaking a sweat, that's how cool it is !!!  (Of course, the riding mower made the work a little easier, too)

I think Winter is over here, in paradise.

I figured I'd just revive this thread, rather than start a new "Winter Weather" one.

Fall, here, is one of varying weather patterns.  It's been cool.  Then yesterday, we got 3.74" of rain.  This is what the yard looked like around noon today.