Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Fly Fishing Texas coast in the Winter

Every single time I go to Corpus and film the trip I usually get skunked. But finally I caught a few nice fish, and my buddy Johnny caught a legal flounder and speckled trout. We fished only two days, but had a great time. I was exhausted I have to say from throwing an 8wt into the wind for many many hours non stop, but it was a good rod. Whether or not I catch, I always have a great time hanging with my buddy Johnny. He has been my friend for ages, and we always enjoy fishing together and hanging out.

Every single time I go to Corpus and film the trip I usually get skunked. But finally I caught a few nice fish, and my buddy Johnny caught a legal flounder and speckled trout. We fished only two days, but had a great time. I was exhausted I have to say from throwing an 8wt into the wind for many many hours non stop, but it was a good rod. Whether or not I catch, I always have a great time hanging with my buddy Johnny. He has been my friend for ages, and we always enjoy fishing together and hanging out. So the fly that worked best for me was a large mullet fly pattern. Seemed to catch most of the fish. I tried crabs, and redfish crack, but nothing worked like that mullet pattern. This makes sense since this time of year, medium sized mullet are everywhere. Fish seem to target them, since they are a big meal. They don't want to exhort themselves on a small meal when its cold out. And it sure was cold, and windy!

14 hours ago, Sandan said:

Nice vid, wind included.

Lol thank you.  Yeah man, the wind was horrible.  Made it impossible to film.  I wish I could setup a mic with a wind screen but, hard when it’s gotta stay waterproof.  Lol

The biggest advantage you get fishing from a skiff in the salt (or anywhere else) in my opinion is to be able to position the skiff so that your casts are downwind... or to move into the lee of one island or other and get out of the wind entirely.... 

That’s a big part of what I do each day with fly anglers aboard.  Lots of other factors involved but this simple tactic is a game changer on days when the wind has you by the throat.  

7 hours ago, McFlyLures said:

Lol thank you.  Yeah man, the wind was horrible.  Made it impossible to film.  I wish I could setup a mic with a wind screen but, hard when it’s gotta stay waterproof.  Lol

You ask me nothing wrecks a fishing day like the wind. I was gonna go tomorrow but.... 20-30mph sustained with gusts to 60. I'll do chores and tie some for my Yellowstone trip this summer. 

When the wind is up it ruins our tarpon fishing as well since if you can't see 'em... Then on days when the wind is at zero (usually right at dawn...) it's just magic - and you can see a big tarpon from a great distance if they are anywhere near the surface.  The fishing club I belonged to many years ago used to say  "What follows five days of perfect weather"?  The weekend, of course...

Here's one tip for flyfishing on a windy day... if you have a full Intermediate fly line you'll find it seems to punch through the wind much better than a floating line.  Of course a full intermediate takes some learning to use properly.  On my skiff all of the heavier rods (10wt and above..) are set up with intermediates .   Lighter rigs (from 9wt on down to 7wt) still use floating lines... 

18 hours ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

The biggest advantage you get fishing from a skiff in the salt (or anywhere else) in my opinion is to be able to position the skiff so that your casts are downwind... or to move into the lee of one island or other and get out of the wind entirely.... 

That’s a big part of what I do each day with fly anglers aboard.  Lots of other factors involved but this simple tactic is a game changer on days when the wind has you by the throat.  

Yes I agree, wish I could get a boat.  But can’t afford one, and can’t store it, since I live in a small apartment.  No storage here.  

16 hours ago, Sandan said:

You ask me nothing wrecks a fishing day like the wind. I was gonna go tomorrow but.... 20-30mph sustained with gusts to 60. I'll do chores and tie some for my Yellowstone trip this summer. 

Yes lol!  That I agree.  It was the same when I filmed.  20-30mph with 50 gusts.   Very difficult to cast.  I mean I knocked myself in the ear, and it’s been a long long time I’ve done something like that.  Haha.  

That sure looked like a tough few days with the wind and all. Those 8 wts. and wind can wear you out pretty quickly.

22 hours ago, feathers5 said:

That sure looked like a tough few days with the wind and all. Those 8 wts. and wind can wear you out pretty quickly.

Yeah my arm was shot no question.   Could barely move it next day.   But it was worth it, I had a great time.  

3 hours ago, McFlyLures said:

Yeah my arm was shot no question.   Could barely move it next day.   But it was worth it, I had a great time.  

Can you cast with either arm? I learned this years ago and found that it saved my arms, no matter what rod I used. Worst is the 8 ft., 7 wt. bamboo. Like casting a telephone pole.

3 hours ago, skeet3t said:

Can you cast with either arm? I learned this years ago and found that it saved my arms, no matter what rod I used. Worst is the 8 ft., 7 wt. bamboo. Like casting a telephone pole.

I cannot no.  Man, I am not even the best with my normal arm!  Haha!  Once I perfect casting with my right arm I might try learning left...  

As my late grandfather would say, "You are never too young to learn." After I began FFing in a serious manner, I found it easier to switch sides rather than try some of the casts as "comb your hair" which takes the rod in the right hand and passes it to the left with the rod going over your head. Tried it but found that it's not accurate. Using both sides comes in handy in fishing small streams. Avoids those fly eating bushes.